Boss DD-3 "Tap Tempo Switch"

Started by soupbone, September 07, 2011, 05:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

Does anyone have a link on how to build a "Tap Tempo" switch(with enclosure) for the Boss DD-3 Delay?

plesur

It's just a momentary footswitch connected to a socket. Ideal first project!

soupbone

Quote from: plesur on September 07, 2011, 06:23:38 AM
It's just a momentary footswitch connected to a socket. Ideal first project!
Do you mean one like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgmTLMfc-zM

slacker

Not for a DD-3 it isn't, the DD-3 doesn't have tap tempo, so you can't just add a tap tempo switch. What plesur said is for adding an external tap tempo box to a pedal that already has tap tempo.

Paul Marossy

Barcode80

Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 07, 2011, 12:14:47 PM
Tap tempo box for a DD-5: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/TempoBox.htm
Simplest project ever.
yes, but the OP wants a tap tempo for a dd-3, which does not actually have tap tempo functionality...

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Barcode80 on September 07, 2011, 02:41:13 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 07, 2011, 12:14:47 PM
Tap tempo box for a DD-5: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/TempoBox.htm
Simplest project ever.
yes, but the OP wants a tap tempo for a dd-3, which does not actually have tap tempo functionality...

Yeah, I know.

Barcode80

crane

What you could do is to use a digital pot instead of TIME pot and control it with a mictrocontroller - but if you were capable of such a project you wouldn't ask for advice - sorry, no offense :)
Buy a pedal with tap tempo feature or build Rebote 2.5 with tap tempo.

soupbone

I've used one of these before;  http://www.roland.com/products/en/FS-5U/index.html   I thought when you plugged it in it was a tap tempo,or is it just changing channel's?

ugly_guitar_guy

Quote from: soupbone on September 07, 2011, 05:14:20 PM
I've used one of these before;http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/boss-fs-5l-latching-footswitch I thought when you plugged it in it was a tap tempo,or is it just changing channel's?

The DD-3 does not have "tap tempo" capability built in, so there's no place to plug in an FS-5U for that capability. The DD-5 and DD-7 have external jacks for tap tempo with an FS-5U.

Would take some heavy modding to make a DD-3 have tap tempo, if it's even possible at all.

Oh, and I know because I work for BOSS.  ;)
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

soupbone

Quote from: ugly_guitar_guy on September 07, 2011, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: soupbone on September 07, 2011, 05:14:20 PM
I've used one of these before;http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/boss-fs-5l-latching-footswitch I thought when you plugged it in it was a tap tempo,or is it just changing channel's?

The DD-3 does not have "tap tempo" capability built in, so there's no place to plug in an FS-5U for that capability. The DD-5 and DD-7 have external jacks for tap tempo with an FS-5U.

Would take some heavy modding to make a DD-3 have tap tempo, if it's even possible at all.

Oh, and I know because I work for BOSS.  ;)
Crapolla.Thanks for the info :)

Paul Marossy

That's why I love my DD-5 - it has tap tempo!  :icon_razz:

soupbone

Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 07, 2011, 06:33:41 PM
That's why I love my DD-5 - it has tap tempo!  :icon_razz:
Might have to get me one then ;D

Paul Marossy

I like the DD-5 because of the external tap tempo capability. Someone I knew who owned a DD-7 said that version did away with the external tap tempo box and it's built into the pedal now. I just don't really like that idea...

Barcode80

Quote from: Paul Marossy on September 08, 2011, 10:20:09 AM
I like the DD-5 because of the external tap tempo capability. Someone I knew who owned a DD-7 said that version did away with the external tap tempo box and it's built into the pedal now. I just don't really like that idea...
Yeah, biggest problem I have with not having an external tap input is you can't utilize multi-out tap tempos to sync all your pedals.

ugly_guitar_guy

Nope, the DD-6 had no external tap-tempo (you had to hold down the switch for 2 seconds for tap tempo function), but due to popular demand the external tap tempo jack was brought back for the DD-7 (It also has the switch function for tap tempo, to get the best of both worlds). That and an "Analog" delay mode, which I personally love the sound of. Very close to the RE-20 Space Echo pedal.
Check out my metal band here: www.facebook.com/hollowshell
or
my personal effects building page here: www.facebook.com/brotronics

Paul Marossy

Quote from: ugly_guitar_guy on September 09, 2011, 01:29:09 PM

Nope, the DD-6 had no external tap-tempo (you had to hold down the switch for 2 seconds for tap tempo function), but due to popular demand the external tap tempo jack was brought back for the DD-7 (It also has the switch function for tap tempo, to get the best of both worlds). That and an "Analog" delay mode, which I personally love the sound of. Very close to the RE-20 Space Echo pedal.

Thanks for the clarification. I think maybe it was a DD-6 that my friend had, it was about three years ago.

HOTTUBES

I have seen first hand , and read about alot of guys having problems with the DD3's burning up inside etc etc .....

plesur

My bad, I thought the DD-3 had a socket like a DD-5 (which is the one I've seen).  :icon_redface:

You'll just have to get everyone else in the band to play in time with your DD-3  :-\

In Soviet Russia, tempo taps you!