Tonebender MK1 help needed!

Started by carboncomp, September 09, 2011, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electric Warrior

hfe wise you should be quite alright. Maybe go a little higher with Q2. 110 worked well for me there.
How much do your transistors leak, btw? And did you use the 470k at Q2's base?

mac

QuoteWhy would you have such a low collector voltage on Q1? It connects directly with the battery.

oops! Ve1  ;D

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Dwstanford

Yeah,  i used the 470k.  Leakages are :  q1-310, q2-220, q3-176.  Are there certain leakages that work best with the circuit?  I had a higher leakage transistor in q3 (470, hfe-82, oc75) and it sounded really fizzy on the high end no matter what i did.  Ive gotten my voltages pretty much where yours are, except my q1 voltage is a bit higher. Im using a 9v carbon battery and im getting 9.3 v on the collector, but very close to your readings on the base and emitter.  Oh and by the way, i switched to the gary hurst version instead of the sola sound.  Overall, it has fixed most of the issues.  The bass response is where i want it, but theres still a bit more high end treble than id like.  Is there a way to filter out some of the extreme high end?  Maybe im being too picky.  I want it to sound like a mk1 and it definitely does, but some or the higher ranges could cut glass.  If i roll the treble all the way back on my amp, it sounds great.  I'll try the higher gain on q2 and see what happens.  I have a couple of ac125's and a oc75 in that range, but the oc75 leakage is about 500u. Thanks for your help.  Im definitely on the verge of taming this beast. 

mac

IMHO this circuit works best with dark transistors, like AC128/187 etc.
If you use trebly germs, a small picofarad cap from base to gnd, or base to collector may help.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84