Russian Big Muff Pi DC jack

Started by Shroom, September 09, 2011, 10:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shroom

I plan to add a DC power input to my black Russian BMP, and since this is my first DIY pedal project, I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to give me any tips. I'm going to try to make it so that the battery switches off when nothing is plugged into the pedal, so I'm going to need a stereo input jack in addition to the DC jack, right? Is there anywhere in particular that would be good to order the parts from? I was just going to use Radio Shack. Also, is there anything else you recommend I do to it while I have the thing taken apart?

Thanks  :icon_smile:

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Shroom on September 09, 2011, 10:49:22 PM
I plan to add a DC power input to my black Russian BMP, and since this is my first DIY pedal project, I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to give me any tips. I'm going to try to make it so that the battery switches off when nothing is plugged into the pedal, so I'm going to need a stereo input jack in addition to the DC jack, right? Is there anywhere in particular that would be good to order the parts from? I was just going to use Radio Shack. Also, is there anything else you recommend I do to it while I have the thing taken apart?

Thanks  :icon_smile:

I believe Radio Shack only has the solid metal DC jacks which will short in a metal box.
you need something like:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-2154/DC-Power-Jack-2.1mm/Detail

your guitar will be going in and out of the stereo/mono jacks many times, so best to get higher quality ones. RS ones are medium quality.  best to get something of at least neutrik quality:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Plugs%2C+Jacks+and+Fittings

and:
always think outside the box

peps1

yep, you will need a stereo jack and wire the power-supply ground to the sleeve lug and ring to PCB ground, so it will only conect then a jack is plugged in and bridging the sleeve and ring.

And here is how to add DC jack

Shroom

Thanks guys! So I actually opened up my big muff and checked out a PCB for the very first time, and I'm realizing I know less about how to do this than I thought.  :icon_neutral: I've managed to locate the V+ node (or whatever you'd call it) and the input/output of course, but from what I can tell it looks like the input jack is already stereo.

I included a couple pics of the thing. If you guys could give me any pointers I would really appreciate it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Malen/Img_0255.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Malen/Img_0254.jpg

peps1

here is a pick with the input, output, +9v and ground shown.

Shroom

Alright so I'm looking at this thing and the way it's wired doesn't match any of the diagrams you guys have posted. It DOES already have a stereo input jack, so all I need is the power supply. It looks like the sleeve of the input is connected to the battery negative, the ring is connected to the output, ground (with several other things along the way), and other elements of the circuit, and the tip is connected to the stomp switch. So do I need a direct connection from ring to ground, using a wire, or will the pre-existing path on the PCB suffice, despite being connected to several other things?  ???

Here is a pic with these paths traced out:

ashcat_lt

What I did in my green Muff was to just wire the DC jack to a battery snap "reversed" from the one that goes to the board and then snapped the two together.  If I ever wanted to use a battery, I can just unsnap my "adapter" and attach the battery.  I'm not sure if that's a viable option for you.

Whatever you do you will probably want a cap or two across the DC jack.  The Muff wasn't built to reject AC noise on the DC supply.

sewage666

Do you want to devalue your green Big Muff? I did! So I added the DC jack. Way easy. 
Photo documented here: http://doktorsewage.blogspot.com/2011/06/minor-muff-malpractice.html

Otherwise, get a Visual Sounds battery clip converter. Way easier.
http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/pedal_power_supplies/battery_clip_convertor

wavley

Quote from: ashcat_lt on September 10, 2011, 11:29:38 PM
What I did in my green Muff was to just wire the DC jack to a battery snap "reversed" from the one that goes to the board and then snapped the two together.  If I ever wanted to use a battery, I can just unsnap my "adapter" and attach the battery.  I'm not sure if that's a viable option for you.

Whatever you do you will probably want a cap or two across the DC jack.  The Muff wasn't built to reject AC noise on the DC supply.

Exactly what I did, wired up a snap to mate up, threw a big ole cap from 9v to ground, and played some rock and roll
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Shroom

Quote from: sewage666 on September 12, 2011, 03:55:29 PM
Do you want to devalue your green Big Muff? I did! So I added the DC jack. Way easy. 
Photo documented here: http://doktorsewage.blogspot.com/2011/06/minor-muff-malpractice.html

Hey thanks! This was pretty handy.
Quote from: ashcat_lt on September 10, 2011, 11:29:38 PM
What kind of cap are we talking here? Please excuse my noobliness

ashcat_lt

Oh, you know, something from the biggish electro drawer.  100uf or so will usually do it.  The bigger the better as far as noise performance, but you'll start to pull down your supply voltage a bit if you go too big, plus it just becomes physically too big to be practical.  It's also not a bad idea to put some smallish resistor (10R or so) in series with +9V to limit the "in-rush current" a little, though I don't think I bothered on my Muff.

Shroom

Quote from: ashcat_lt on September 21, 2011, 12:54:50 PM
Oh, you know, something from the biggish electro drawer.  100uf or so will usually do it.  The bigger the better as far as noise performance, but you'll start to pull down your supply voltage a bit if you go too big, plus it just becomes physically too big to be practical.  It's also not a bad idea to put some smallish resistor (10R or so) in series with +9V to limit the "in-rush current" a little, though I don't think I bothered on my Muff.

Saweet! Thanks a lot

Shroom

Quote from: ashcat_lt on September 21, 2011, 12:54:50 PM
So when you mention the resistor, do you mean in series with the cap? I read in the wiki that throwing a resistor after the cap helps prevent popping, but I want to make sure this is right.

wavley

He means resistor in series with +9v with the cap to ground so

+9v-----~~~----|-----circuit
           100R   +|
                       = 100uF
                      -|
                       |
                       _ Ground

Please excuse my symbols, hopefully you get my drift
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Shroom

Quote from: wavley on September 27, 2011, 11:44:45 AM
He means resistor in series with +9v with the cap to ground so

+9v-----~~~----|-----circuit
           100R   +|
                       = 100uF
                      -|
                       |
                       _ Ground

Please excuse my symbols, hopefully you get my drift

Uuuh...  ???

ashcat_lt

Uhhh...

Here's a Rat:

The 47r resistor and 100uf cap right next to the DC jack illustrate what I'm suggesting.

Shroom

Quote from: ashcat_lt on September 28, 2011, 12:03:54 AM

The 47r resistor and 100uf cap right next to the DC jack illustrate what I'm suggesting.

Oh ok. That's what I thought but I wasn't completely sure. Thanks a lot

boog

i did the same thing as ashcat, except i made it permanent (rewired the battery wires to the jack lugs, threw the battery clip in the trash). as far as the resistor and cap: i didn't bother (muffs sposed to be noisy, why would i quiet it?) but fr 'safety' purposes you can just solder the li'l resistor to the positive lug of the jack and the red wire from the board to it, and just solder the cap from one lug of the jack to the other (just make sure the negative side of the cap goes to the black wire).