How do you pull your ICs??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 12, 2011, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Stupid question but, I was once told:

"There are NO stupid questions... just stupid people who don't ask questions!"

So, just like the subject says:

How do you pull your ICs off of the board? 8-pin, 14-pin, 16-pin, etc. I just usually use small screwdrivers to pry it up oh so softly but there must be a better way  :-\

Is there a cheap tool or something DIY that can be used?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

defaced

Yep, there's a better way.  It's called an IC puller.  Mine looks like this:

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=CPULLER
-Mike

Mark Hammer

yes, in fact even Radio Shack sells one!  It's basically a pair of tweezers with the arms bent in at the ends, so you grip the chip.

I have one, but, like yourself, if I have a clear path, with no other components in the way, I'll just slip the end of the small flat-head screwdriver I use for adjusting the set screws on control knobs under the end of the chip and gently rock it loose.

slacker

Small screwdriver works fine for me.

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Galego

I use the screwdriver method as well. I has worked so well so far, I don't feel the need to waste my money on a specific tool just for that.

ubersam

I used to just use my fingers to pull IC's out but after getting the pins stuck into my thumb i decided to find a better way... started with a small flat head screw driver but now I use an IC puller

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: rockhorst on September 12, 2011, 03:33:17 PM
There's also a tool to straighten the legs!

I DEFINITELY like the IC pin straightening tool  ;D

I dont know how many times I have tried to place an IC into a socket and yelled out ALL 7 of George Carlin's dirty words because I could not gett all if the legs to seat correctly.

@Mark/Ian

I find that anytime I use the jeweler screwdriver approach, I always seem to get one side of the DIP stuck in the socket. Then, when I apply enough force to free it, I end up using my hand anyways (STATIC hazard  :o) to finish the removal. Then, there are bent pins on the IC.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

slacker

The screwdriver method works best if, like Mark said, you can go in flat under the chip, just push it all the way through and the chip should pretty much pop straight upwards.

Paul Marossy

I just use a small screwdriver to pry up both ends of the chip and then pull it out of the socket. Unrefined, but it's been working fine for me since 2001...  :icon_wink:

joegagan

just saw off the legs , then reattach in your local opamp triage center.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

R.G.

There is a long U shaped removal tool intended to fit over the non-leg ends of the chip, with small hooks to fit under the body. Works great.

Mine's about 20 years old now. They may be hard to find now that pin-in-hole electronics is beginning to dry up.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: joegagan on September 12, 2011, 04:13:12 PM
just saw off the legs , then reattach in your local opamp triage center.

:icon_lol:

Perrow

Quote from: R.G. on September 12, 2011, 04:49:15 PM
They may be hard to find now that pin-in-hole electronics is beginning to dry up.

There are ones in the "leg straightener" link (Futurlec).
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

oldschoolanalog

Tweezer type w/"bent ends". Well worth the 2 bucks.
Straighten the legs? Proto board. ;)
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

PRR

> I end up using my hand anyways (STATIC hazard)

Assuming your hand is also all over ground (case, jacks, etc), there is no static problem.
  • SUPPORTER