Noob here - having trouble making my Torn's Peaker/Aenema sound right...

Started by mthibeau, September 14, 2011, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mthibeau

Hello everyone...

I put together a Torn's Peaker/Aenema last night on vero.

I used this layout:

NOTES:
- I used .022 instead of .02 caps.
- All are poly/film caps except for C6 where I used ceramic
- I used 2n2222's, and the NTE versions of MPSA-18 (I used the same two transistor types in my Soda Meiser build and it totally rocks!)
- I had to switch lugs 1 + 3 on the intensity pot
- I used A500k and A100k pots (waiting on some B100, and B500s).

The resistor switch seems to work (changes the beefiness of the distortion), the intensity knob does add gain, but not as much as I expected, the volume pot works fine.

So basically, it doesn't sound as extreme as the youtube examples of a Torn's Peaker. It definitely adds dirt, just not a lot of it.

Can anyone see any issues with the layout? Any suggestions for changes that will give me more gain?

I was going to just say screw it and build one from Devi's PCB, but her shop is down. I could not wait and just built it from that layout I had. I am new at this, but it looked close when compared to the schematic from what I can tell.

- Mike

tiges_ tendres

Check the pin out on those transistors.  Sometimes those NTE ones aren't CBE.
Try a little tenderness.

mthibeau

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on September 15, 2011, 12:52:42 PM
Check the pin out on those transistors.  Sometimes those NTE ones aren't CBE.

Thanks, but I checked before installing them, but I will double check tonight. I have some "non-NTE" MPSA-18 on the way and will try those out as well.

- MikeT

mthibeau

Oops, forgot the cut under C4 - that helps :) Works like a charm now!

crash415

Good to know that layout works.  I think I might give it a shot.  I like what I've heard form the Aenema.  Have you ever seen a layout or schematic for the 90?  I've been searching all around, even searched Devi's site.

mthibeau

Quote from: crash415 on September 20, 2011, 08:51:46 PM
Good to know that layout works.  I think I might give it a shot.  I like what I've heard form the Aenema.  Have you ever seen a layout or schematic for the 90?  I've been searching all around, even searched Devi's site.

Well, it may not be 100% correct, the switch when activated goes from the kinda normal distortion overdrive (Torn's Peaker) to a gated distortion/fuzz that sounds kind of crappy. So keep that in mind. I still plan to buy one of Devi's PCBoards to see if it sounds better/different.

- Mike