colorsound overdriver sim with graphs

Started by Gus, September 17, 2011, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

Sweep of bass and treble controls

bass control sweep

treble control sweep

joegagan

wow. i love how this graphs out. nice work. i know aron used to like these ( i think?). i know zac built one, i will have him bring it to the shop today.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

John Lyons

Gus
Just out of curiosity could you sim the sweep with the C12 omitted?
One of the schematics I can does not have it.

Circuit has a pretty good low end peak!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

slacker

Cool, thanks for doing that. I've never thought about it before but presumably you could take everything to the right of R7 and stick it on the end of pretty much any circuit.

.Mike

Quote from: slacker on September 18, 2011, 09:50:03 AM
Cool, thanks for doing that. I've never thought about it before but presumably you could take everything to the right of R7 and stick it on the end of pretty much any circuit.

If you take a look at the Xotic RC booster, it uses practically the same configuration, but with an opamp. One of their other boosters is similar, but with an added HPF (if I remember right). Pretty flexible.

For the CSOD, there have been three different versions that have been traced, since there have been various reissues. I modeled the clipping of each back in 09 using the latest schematic available at the time (can't link to it, sorry). I think that since then, there has been a trace of a vintage unit that was actually slightly different than the old-looking factory schematic that we've all seen.

Anyway, here is an image comparing the simulated clipping of each variation. The magenta Overdriver most closely matches the one Gus modeled. The other two run at 18v. I didn't do the pickup sim when I modeled it.

I don't know if that helps anyone, but I figured this was a good place to post it in case it does. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

amptramp

Just out of curiosity, what schematic capture and simulation package are you using?  I would like to get something that good.

Mike Burgundy

That would be LtSpice. Check out the spice subforum over here at DIYstompboxes, and find the program at:
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/