good guitar sim link

Started by Gus, September 18, 2011, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esdiezy28

that's some mighty fine simulation for pickups Gus  ;D Do you have a degree in electronics to be so knowledgeable, or is it all self taught from massive research?
Ruby Amp, Noisy Cricket, NPN Boost, modded Mockman 1.0, Bazz Fuss, J201 Fetzer Valve, Valvecaster, modded Valvecaster

Resistance is futile!

Gus

The link is not my work. I found this link looking for spice pickup models.

It is a good article to understand why the cable cap matters and other things, note the date on the article. 2005

CynicalMan

Interesting, although graphs showing the frequency response in decibels would be more useful than millivolts. Like the author mentioned, using a capacitor as a cable sim instead of a delay line is even simpler and accurate enough for our purposes.

For pickup models, I usually get ballpark values off of this:
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys498pom/Experimental_Results/Pickup_Data/Guitar_Bass_Pickup_Data.xls
And then I make an LRC filter for the pickup, plus tone and volume controls, cable capacitance, and the amp input. You can throw in fancy bits like eddy current simulation, but they don't have much of an effect. You can significantly change the overall sound of a pickup just by changing its load resistance and capacitance, and I'm currently working on a design that exploits this to get more useful guitar tone controls.