Equinox: Easy PT2399 Reverb

Started by merlinb, September 20, 2011, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

I built this baby over the weekend, but sadly it did not work. I got signal through, but it was unaffected, sounded good... but no reverb.

I DID make what is probably a game stopping part substitution- I had no NP 10uF caps, so I dropped in regular electros.

Thoughts?

WhenBoredomPeaks

Quote from: audioguy on October 17, 2011, 06:36:39 AM
I built this baby over the weekend, but sadly it did not work. I got signal through, but it was unaffected, sounded good... but no reverb.

I DID make what is probably a game stopping part substitution- I had no NP 10uF caps, so I dropped in regular electros.

Thoughts?

You might made a mistake with the orientation of the 10uF caps, you should rotate C14 or C4 or C32 (on the schem) or more 10uf caps around the delay ICs.

audioguy

I'll check those when I get home from work this afternoon. Thanks for the tip.

Govmnt_Lacky

10uF NON-polarized  :o

Anyone have a link for where to pick those up? A search on the interwebs only led me to some larger than desired caps.

EDIT: I guess Steve sells them over at smallbear but, does anyone know if they are a decent size for the circuit?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Seven64

jefe

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 17, 2011, 07:59:47 AM

Anyone have a link for where to pick those up? A search on the interwebs only led me to some larger than desired caps.

EDIT: I guess Steve sells them over at smallbear but, does anyone know if they are a decent size for the circuit?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think non-polarized caps are required for this circuit. Polarized are probably preferred (?).

audioguy

The BOM calls NP specifically for a couple of the 10uf caps.

jefe

Quote from: audioguy on October 17, 2011, 09:58:23 AM
The BOM calls NP specifically for a couple of the 10uf caps.

Ah, OK. C10 and C32 are listed as NP, but on the schematic, their symbol is still the polarized variety. Also, the BOM notes indicate "1uF or greater", so maybe the 10uF isn't that important?

frequencycentral

Two polarised caps back to back = one NP cap. Negative to negative IIR. And the value will be halved.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

audioguy

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

audioguy

I just swapped the 10uf out and replaced them with 1 uf NP. No change.
While examining the board, I noticed my 78L05 was really warm. going to poke around there for a while.

merlinb

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 17, 2011, 07:59:47 AM

Anyone have a link for where to pick those up?
If you check the BOM you'll see that any value from 1uF or greater is fine. That should be easy to get in a non-polar format.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93868.msg808705#msg808705

dam28

So after a few weeks working on other things, I have returned to this build. It all sounds and works however, the delayed sound is "fuzzy" the original is not but the repeats sound really noisy. Any ideas why this is?

D

merlinb

Quote from: dam28 on October 26, 2011, 04:27:23 PM
So after a few weeks working on other things, I have returned to this build. It all sounds and works however, the delayed sound is "fuzzy" the original is not but the repeats sound really noisy. Any ideas why this is?
Are you building this on PCB or something else? Could be any number of things...

dam28

I did a PCB layout to hone my skills at it. It was coming out clean with a little bit of a hiss, now it's really hissy. What are the possible problems?
D

merlinb

Quote from: dam28 on October 26, 2011, 05:48:52 PM
What are the possible problems?
Bad etch- broken traces or linked traces, solder bridges, etc. Wrong components, wrong orientation... Delay resistors/trimpot correct value? Capacitors in the alias filters wrong value? These could cause hissing...
You're gonna have to post some photos if you want something closer to a diagnosis.  :icon_wink:

sugonidamaso

Hi dam28! here's the link regarding my close encounter :icon_mrgreen::http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=93421.20
Hoping to find you some ease.... I think. Thanks Merlin! Still ROCKS! I mean you rock! :icon_twisted:
" The greatest inspiration is often born out of desperation--so be DESPERATE! "

dam28

as soon as I clicked "reply" I thought, "that is a rather stupid question!". I guess I opened a can of worms of what could be wrong :). I'm going to check it all tonight. I'll try and upload some photos later when I have time. My etching is fine because I have had it working. I must have changed something during the "fiddling" stage and broke it. Anyway, thank you for the help Merlin and sugonidamaso. I will investigate once I am back from work!

D