Equinox: Easy PT2399 Reverb

Started by merlinb, September 20, 2011, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlinb

Quote from: mr_deadmaxxx on February 27, 2012, 10:03:37 PM
some photos, but still not working though..
Hang on... it looks like you might have C28 backwards. That could be the cause of the hot 7805...

mr_deadmaxxx

Quote from: alparent on February 28, 2012, 01:13:34 PM
looks more like photo-resist

yup, photo resist. I used pre-sensitized PCB's.

Quote from: merlinb on February 28, 2012, 01:50:21 PM

Quote from: mr_deadmaxxx on February 27, 2012, 10:03:37 PM
some photos, but still not working though..
Hang on... it looks like you might have C28 backwards. That could be the cause of the hot 7805...

Holy cow how come I didn't see that?!? :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

merlinb

Quote from: mr_deadmaxxx on March 01, 2012, 10:01:47 AM
Holy cow how come I didn't see that?!? :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
Basic law of electronics. It doesn't matter how many times you check the board, you always have to check it one more time to find the last error.

mr_deadmaxxx

I always look at the solder side.. ;D

Mark Hammer

I brought my Equinox (and several tubs full of other pedals) to a jam/rehearsal last night.  It was the first time I'd ever heard it at anything above conversation level.  Sounded great!  Very pleased.

garcho

I can't wait to make this one. Definitely with a momentary foot switch:

QuoteMark Hammer: Note that, since it comes with "tails", one could productively use a momentary stompswitch for the on-board switching.  That would let the user effectively "punch in" for a phrase, then punch out, letting the reverb decay in its own time.

I was thinking of adding a tap tempo mod, what do you think?  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Mark Hammer

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't know that tap tempo will have easily discernible effects on a simulated reverb.  After all, the point of reverb is to make the repeats rather indistinguishable from each other.

merlinb

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 02, 2012, 09:23:30 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but I don't know that tap tempo will have easily discernible effects on a simulated reverb.  After all, the point of reverb is to make the repeats rather indistinguishable from each other.
I hope that was dry humour, Mark...

garcho

That's my fault for assuming sarcasm can come across on a text forum  :icon_redface:    Couldn't help but laugh at the idea of tapping in a tempo for reverb i.e. 100,000 bpm
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Mark Hammer

Okay, I get it now.  *I* was the one who was out of the loop.  :icon_rolleyes:

served

How does it work if I would like to use Hall and Pathroom Reverb types?
Would this be the circuit to build?

John Lyons

Fired this up late last night. Sounds great! Now to play with some feedback
and filtering. Thanks Merlin!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

haveyouseenhim

Ahhh. this is such a nice sounding pedal, but i cant get mine to work. theres a short somewhere and i cant find it. i just decided to etch a new board and start over. when i was cutting the copper clad board to size, the box cutter i was using slipped onto the speed square and cut the tip of my finger OFF.  this project has been hell (through no fault of the designer) .

sounds great merlin. cant wait to finish it.

edit:  does anyone have any spare pcbs?
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

brv

Hello everyone!

I've recently built my copy of Equinox Reverb. Audio processing seems to work fine, except that it's quite noisy (my idea is to put it in one box with Echo Base, which also uses a PT2399 and doesn't produce any noise). The noise stays the same no matter if the reverb is on or off. Moreover I can't really hear the difference between "Low cut" on and off. I'm really out of ideas - after spending a lot of time examining the PCB, I can't find any shorts etc. Help!

Here are the pictures of my build:
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/9584/dsc00587jy.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/4291/dsc00585ux.jpg

Let me know if you need audio samples or a close up of any part...

gtangas

hi

sorry about the noob question:

The pot P2 can be lin or log right?

garcho

Pots *can* always be one or the other (or antilog), it's just a matter of user-interface aesthetics. You know how some amps' volume knobs go from inaudible to crazy loud in 10 degrees turn? That's the issue with potentiometer taper.
Linear would be the choice here, if you have. Schemes usually make the need for audio, or log (or antilog) explicit (as in P1). Any will work fine, as long as the value (20k) is correct. Even if the value is higher, it will still 'work', but not as gracefully as the designer intended. In this case (with Merlin), I'd stick as close to the schematic as financially possible.

Here's a good quick read you should check out

welcome to the forum!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

gtangas

I´ve been following the boom and the doubt of the pot came because the note was only on one off the pots

Here in Portugal I couldn´t find the pt2399... even it´s a ic called PT :)   but okay... long live ebay....

The other problem was the caps ND... after running from several shops I only found a polyester cap of 1,5uf but I think it's okay

Thx for the welcome... I enjoy this stuff... I love play and I love to build my things.... I remember when I was a kid seeing my father drawing pcb with a edding pen :)

today´s more simple!!!

But yea! I´m starting from zero here! 100% noob!

Feedback of my first stompbox as soon my ic arrive from hong kong!

obrigado
Sérgio

brv

I've noticed a fact that might be important: the noise goes away when I turn down the level pot (what doesn't surprise me, but the same happens when the reverb is bypassed!). I also checked the circuit with PT's removed - of course there is no reverb, but I still can hear some minor noise which might be the cause (the reverb line amplifies it). I also tried to replace the TL072CN - no change. The wires used to connect the circuit to the amp ought to be ok, because I use them with many other stompboxes and never noticed any problems. Anyone willing to help?

merlinb

Quote from: brv on December 06, 2012, 01:58:25 AM
I've noticed a fact that might be important: the noise goes away when I turn down the level pot
What kind of noise is it?

brv

It will be easier if I make a sample. Here's the link:
https://soundcloud.com/brv-2/reverb-noise

The sample consists of three parts - first one is the amp only (no noise at all), second - low level reverb and the third one - high level reverb. For me it sounds as if something was not grounded properly, but that's only a suggestion. Still the fact the noise almost (not entirely!) disappears when the Level know is down makes me wonder - this seems to be the same noise level (maybe a little higher) as with the PT's removed.