GTFO - Full tube high-gain pedal (2x 12AX7)

Started by gtudoran, September 25, 2011, 02:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripthorn

When you guys mentioned the inductor, I went and took a look.  Turns out that when I enlarged the hole in the pcb for the inductor leads, I cut the trace, so I had to have some solder on both sides of the lead and I was able to dial in over 300V.  I tested voltages with and without tubes, and all looks good so far.  Now I just have to try the whole thing all wired up, which I hope to do tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestions guys, things are looking good.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

J0K3RX

Just fyi - I used an old 12v laptop or LCD monitor power adapter... It's rated @ 12v DC 4.5amps  I save power adapters from everything, I must have a whole box full of them, maybe 100 or more :icon_rolleyes: Ya never know when one will work for something... My wife tried to throw them away without me noticing and I saw them out in the trash, so I went out and grabbed them all and brought them all back in the house! :icon_twisted: Then I took all of her purses and put them out in the trash ha ha :icon_twisted:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

fair.child

Quote from: Hilli on April 19, 2012, 05:40:05 PM
@fair.child: Wow, very nice PCB. That looks professional !!!

Thank you for your compliment Hili. Glad to know it.
It looks like you also can do fabricated PCB, if you want to built one again :), I would suggest to order it with http://www.seeedstudio.com/ I think they will sell you few of fabricated PCB with great deal. I realized that in my country to do fabricated PCB seems difficult, so seeedstudio option probably the best for get more professional PCB

Cheers

fair.child

Quote from: Ripthorn on April 19, 2012, 09:44:39 PM
When you guys mentioned the inductor, I went and took a look.  Turns out that when I enlarged the hole in the pcb for the inductor leads, I cut the trace, so I had to have some solder on both sides of the lead and I was able to dial in over 300V.  I tested voltages with and without tubes, and all looks good so far.  Now I just have to try the whole thing all wired up, which I hope to do tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestions guys, things are looking good.

Did you breadboarding or try to built GTFO with vero ? be careful. I've been 'shazam' (hot and stark) by this pedal, and It was really painful even just a little touch. Don't hurt yourself :)

Cheers

Ripthorn

Quote from: fair.child on April 20, 2012, 06:56:24 AM
Quote from: Ripthorn on April 19, 2012, 09:44:39 PM

Did you breadboarding or try to built GTFO with vero ? be careful. I've been 'shazam' (hot and stark) by this pedal, and It was really painful even just a little touch. Don't hurt yourself :)

Cheers

I have been working just on the populated PCB.  I was careful with the high voltage supply.  Previously I have never gone higher than about 150V in a project, but I am not too worried about this.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Groovenut

Here is my contribution. I reworked the layout a bit, added board mounted pots and a shielded heater run on board. PSU yields about 325 vdc loaded. Fet and inductor get pretty warm. The finished circuit pulls about 600mA current.

Does anyone know if there are types of 555s that should NOT be used?

You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Hilli

Quote from: J0K3RX on April 19, 2012, 11:50:15 PM
My wife tried to throw them away without me noticing and I saw them out in the trash, so I went out and grabbed them all and brought them all back in the house! Then I took all of her purses and put them out in the trash ha ha

Great Jim. Hahahaha   :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:

Hilli

Damn Groovenut, that looks gorgeous.  :o

J0K3RX

Groovenut - That is beautiful! Love the board mounted pots!!! That looks sooo damn good bro!!! :icon_eek:

Groovenut

Thanks guys! ;D

I think on the next run I will put the backlight LED option, the effect LED, the jacks, and the switching on board as well.  :icon_twisted:

It's a fun project for sure!

fair.child

gtudoran

Well done Groovenut !  :o :o Could you share your modified layout for onboard pots?

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

Groovenut

Here is my modified layout for the board mounted pots. It is two sided but if you move the heater and 555 bridge offboard it's easily done single sided. Thus far I have not had any issues with noise, but I have taken extra filtering precautions to avoid it. I should have it in an enclosure soon and then will follow with pics. Thanks for the interest!

J0K3RX

Lawrence,

Very nice!!! Could you post the black and white transfer of the bottom side? Please.. :icon_wink:

Edit: Pretty Please With Solder On It? ;D

Thanks,
~Jim

Groovenut

Quote from: J0K3RX on April 21, 2012, 10:48:54 PM
Lawrence,

Very nice!!! Could you post the black and white transfer of the bottom side? Please.. :icon_wink:

Edit: Pretty Please With Solder On It? ;D

Thanks,
~Jim

Here you go Jim. I dont know why it shows up so freakin big? It should be 3" wide at 300dpi.

J0K3RX

Groovenut

Also, is there any reason the pull up resistor for the BJT was left out?

PRR

> why it shows up so freakin big? It should be 3" wide at 300dpi.

Monitors display at 72, 96, 120 etc nominal DPI.

Generally printers have at least 4X to 3X the resolution of monitors. 300dpi is common. 600dpi exists. (Higher numbers in low-price printers are probably trickery.)

I measure your '3 inch' as 10.3" which works out to 87 dots per inch. Windows says it's thinking 96 dots per inch. Maybe my ruler swelled in the rain. Not worth trying to figure-out Windows' teeny mind. (Ah, it may be thinking 15" monitor, it's really 17".)
  • SUPPORTER

Groovenut

Quote from: PRR on April 23, 2012, 12:43:03 AM
> why it shows up so freakin big? It should be 3" wide at 300dpi.

Monitors display at 72, 96, 120 etc nominal DPI.

Generally printers have at least 4X to 3X the resolution of monitors. 300dpi is common. 600dpi exists. (Higher numbers in low-price printers are probably trickery.)

I measure your '3 inch' as 10.3" which works out to 87 dots per inch. Windows says it's thinking 96 dots per inch. Maybe my ruler swelled in the rain. Not worth trying to figure-out Windows' teeny mind. (Ah, it may be thinking 15" monitor, it's really 17".)
Thanks Paul,
Hopefully it wont cause anyone any issues.

Groovenut

Quote from: Groovenut on April 22, 2012, 09:42:00 PM
Also, is there any reason the pull up resistor for the BJT was left out?
I just received verification the BJT pullup resistor was indeed unintentionally left out of the original. Actual value is 68k - 100k.
Here are the updated layouts