Author Topic: 3: Build pictorial  (Read 172022 times)

esdiezy28

Re: 3: Build pictorial
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »
I was wondering what kind of wire you use one the back of your board to connect your solder joints. I got these small wires at radio shack that are meant for a solderless board, and im not sure they will work for me. Any help appreciated, thank you!        ToNy
Ruby Amp, Noisy Cricket, NPN Boost, modded Mockman 1.0, Bazz Fuss, J201 Fetzer Valve, Valvecaster, modded Valvecaster

Resistance is futile!

aron

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2007, 08:26:46 PM »
Follow the threads in order. The wires are the component leads.

Also check out:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

esdiezy28

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2007, 09:25:32 PM »
Follow the threads in order. The wires are the component leads.

Also check out:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

thank you, I get it now...
Ruby Amp, Noisy Cricket, NPN Boost, modded Mockman 1.0, Bazz Fuss, J201 Fetzer Valve, Valvecaster, modded Valvecaster

Resistance is futile!

aron

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2007, 10:17:43 PM »
COOL! Good luck!!!!!

macaroni

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:01 AM »
Hey aron, i'm half way through this project and im stuck.

i got a few questions for ya man.

1. how will u go abouts wiring up this switch?

2. i bought a stereo output plug and i duno how to wire it up.

thanks alot man :D

aron

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »
1. See the middle lugs. Make sure that they are horizontal and wire it up that way MINUS the LED and resistor. (Pretend the LED and resistor didn't exist in the wiring diagram.

2. The "marshall style jack", is (from closest to hole to back), sleeve, ring, tip. Just connect as described.

Let me know if you have more questions. GOOD LUCK!

commanderkeen

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
hey,
  how's it going? I'm a huge beginner to electronics, but I've been reading up a lot lately. I'm attempting to take this one step at a time, but I have a huge question: Does the NPN transistor plug into the DIP8 socket that I cut? I don't see the actual transistor at all on the finished board.

aron

« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2008, 04:05:16 PM »
Yes it does. The 3 legs go right into the cut DIP socket.

gal

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »
never mind
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:36:52 PM by gal »

Captainobvious99

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »
Question:

The transistors have long leads...do they have to be trimmed in order ot be snapped into the sockets? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something

Also, Im off to practice so I can trouble shoot when I get back, but when hooked up, I get sound when in bypass but not when engaged...also the led doesnt light up.
Where shoul I start to look first?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 05:13:08 PM by Captainobvious99 »

Barcode80

« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2008, 07:40:46 PM »
power and ground connections would be first suspect.

Captainobvious99

« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2008, 01:51:27 AM »
One thng I'm confused about with this project is the transistor.  Looking at the top of the board with input cap to the left, the socket for the transistor is vertical. How do I know which way to orient the Transistor? Also, I'm assuming that I have to trim down the long leads on the transistor and then push it into the socket...

From top to bottom, how should the transistor be oriented?

The kind I am using is a 2N5088 and it is marked and has a flat side. BUT, I also have some other transistors (2N2222A, etc) that I coul substitute so I need to know which pins fom top to botom are for collector/base/emitter.

Also- How do you determine which pins to start with on the 3dpdt switch? In one corner thee appears to be an "8". I used that as the top left corner according to the schematic.
My battery is good and showing 9+volts.

GREEN FUZ

« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2008, 05:56:17 AM »
If you do an internet search you can usually find datasheets for most transistors. Presuming they`re fairly current that is. This will give you a wealth of information, including the pinout.
Here is the 2n5088 datasheet.
Scroll down a short way to get the pinout.
You don`t need to trim the leads but it wont do any harm if you do.

Captainobvious99

« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »
Thanks fuzz. I actually can see which pins on the transistor are C B and E but I'm just unsure on the schematic for this project how the transistor should be positioned in the socket.

Looking at the top of the board with the input capacitor to the left, the socket sits vertical just like in the instructional photo. From top to bottom should the pinout be "E-B-C" or should it be "C-B-E". I just want to be sure its in there correctly so I can eliminate it as a possible problem. Thanks for any assistance. This has been fun so far!

GREEN FUZ

« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2008, 09:44:50 AM »
top to bottom = E-B-C.

Captainobvious99

« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
Thanks. Okay its situated properly and still some issues. I'll start a thread to keep this area clear. Thanks for your help thus far bud  ;)

1slipperyfish

« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
hello everyone i'm new here(and to electronics)  :D
i'm using a dpdt switch and the bypass works great but i can't get the actual effect to work???
i understand the top form the fx circuit and the bottom loop forms the bypass with the jacks connected to the middle lugs, but it won't work ??
should i try the one with the millenium bypass from the diy faq instead?
thanks for your time :D
paul

Barcode80

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2009, 10:58:47 PM »
hello everyone i'm new here(and to electronics)  :D
i'm using a dpdt switch and the bypass works great but i can't get the actual effect to work???
i understand the top form the fx circuit and the bottom loop forms the bypass with the jacks connected to the middle lugs, but it won't work ??
should i try the one with the millenium bypass from the diy faq instead?
thanks for your time :D
paul

try it without the switch first. just wire the in/out of the effect to the in/out jacks. if it works then, then you can start with diagnosing the wiring. if not, you either have your circuit connections screwy or something not assembled properly.

1slipperyfish

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2009, 04:52:44 AM »
thanks barcode80 i'll try that later today :D
paul

1slipperyfish

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
here's mine without the switch
hello i'm not gettting any sound when i take the switch out i have checked the back of my board and it looks just like the one in the picture??? i was wondering if anyone can see anything obvious or has any suggestions??
thanks in advance
paul