Tone control in Aron Nelson's "Hornet"

Started by ponch58, October 05, 2011, 10:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ponch58

I did a version of Aron Nelson's "hornet".  I like it a lot.  It's very nasty!  Exactly what I was looking for!

I would like a little bit of tone change and am not sure how to approach it.  It's a little trebly for me as is.  I have read on other forums that if I was to raise the value of the input and output caps, it will allow lower frequencies to pass.  I already subbed a .1 uF on the input in place of the .01 uF listed in the schematic as I was building the pedal, as I had one in stock at the time.  Is changing these caps the best approach? 

Another thought I had was to add an actual "tone control knob".  This would be ideal as I play an SG, Strat and Telecaster which clearly could all benefit from some tonal flexibility.  I am unsure as to how to go about this, and my searches have come up empty.   :icon_confused:

Has anyone else dealt with this, or have any ideas?

ponch58

Also.  I used a silicon 2n5088 for Q2 and subbed a germanium 2N1306 for the listed 2n388a.  Would a different transistor help with my tone issues?

jrod

You could do two different input caps on a switch or do a cap blend like Joe Gagan's Easy Face.

The 2N1306 should be fine!

joegagan

yeah, what he said.

i never built a hornet, but i found when using smaller input caps on FF type circuits i wanted more overall volume. try adding an lpb1 style boost at the end if you feel  it needs more volume or boost.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

ponch58

Quote from: jrod on October 06, 2011, 12:05:27 AM
You could do two different input caps on a switch or do a cap blend like Joe Gagan's Easy Face.

The 2N1306 should be fine!

Thanks for the link!  That might be exactly what I'm looking for!  I picked up a few caps today, I'm gonna mess around with it and see what I can come up with.

;D

Marcus T.