Pedal lost its ouput.... (fixed-delete)

Started by Seven64, October 06, 2011, 05:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

so I have a modded Boss Metal zone, and decided to socket the IC's so I can replace them.  After socketing them , i replaced them with some opa2134's, and the output was almost nothing.  the gain wasnt all that great either.  i put back in the stock chips, and it still doesnt have near the volume or gain the pedal had before i removed the ic's.  could i have fried the ic's?  cold solder join in a socket?

R.G.

Quote from: Seven64 on October 06, 2011, 05:25:06 PM
could i have fried the ic's?
Yep. Or broken a wire. Or cracked a component lead or some other joint.

But
Quotecold solder join in a socket?
this is more likely.

Anytime you work on something and it then does worse, it was most likely the "fix" that made it worse.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

It occurred to me after I hit "send" that modding a pedal is much like skydiving. One is voluntarily jumping out of a perfectly good airplane because they think it's going to be fun.   :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Seven64

yea, i bought a mod kit and put it in and it was working great.  i just wanted to try different op-amps in the distortion part of the circuit

Seven64

put the stock ic's back in it, and i get a little distortion, but the gain and volume knobs need to be all the way up.  i remember it getting too loud with the volume halfway before this, so i know there is still something wrong.  also, it barely has any distortion.  i found a cap with a chunk missing out of it....could this be part of the problem?

R.G.

Yep. Could be.

Could be other stuff too.

I wish I could help more, but the situation you describe is so generic that it could be almost anything.  Except for you putting in a mod kit and probably not knowing the schematic or mods, I'd say to step over to Debugging: what to do when it doesn't work. You might see if you can collect up the info.
R.G.

Seven64

its been modded for a good 4 months and been working great.  i just opened it up again because i got some of the sip8 to dip8 adaptors from allum mods and wanted to switch out one of the op amps

nexekho

Quote from: R.G. on October 06, 2011, 05:50:32 PM
It occurred to me after I hit "send" that modding a pedal is much like skydiving. One is voluntarily jumping out of a perfectly good airplane because they think it's going to be fun.   :icon_biggrin:

I'd say more in the hopes of landing on a better airplane
I made the transistor angry.

R.G.

Quote from: nexekho on October 07, 2011, 05:54:29 AM
I'd say more in the hopes of landing on a better airplane
Dang! That's a great one!
R.G.

Seven64

re soldered the sockets, replaced a few caps, and now it works great.  it was either a bad solder joint, or a cap that has a chunk thru its protective coating into the plate was causing the issue.

petemoore

...and on to the next one.
  The page RG compiled, filtered, wrote up and once again referred to [and the rest of us helped contribute to] is contendably the best help one can find for such trevails as small signal circuit debugging.   
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Seven64

when i stack op-amps, should they be getting warm?

PRR

> when i stack op-amps, should they be getting warm?

They often do. "Stacking" forces the opamps to fight each other. There may be "a sound" here, but it is very poor engineering practice. Possibly no harm is done; most opamp chips are very well protected.
  • SUPPORTER

Seven64

yea, i didn't like that so im not doing that again.  let me tell you tho, a metal zone with a opa2134 in the distortion circuit is pretty damn awesome, and it SCREAMS with an NE5532