Just picked this guy up....

Started by Seven64, October 11, 2011, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

for a STEAL off of craigslist.  I dunno if i should sell it or not.  i love the pedal, but could use the profit.

Joe Hart

Sweet. They sound great!
-Joe Hart

runmikeyrun

I have never seen that, I had to google it!  Keep it if you're down with the sound... I bought/sold quite a few FX in the past just to turn a profit and there's a few I should have kept.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Mark Hammer

Joe Hart

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on October 11, 2011, 08:30:12 PM
Sell it and build this:
http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ18BossDC2.html
;)

That TOTALLY rocks!!! EXCEPT... it looks like they run about $150-200.00 (a check on eBay shows that one sold last week for $119.99 with free shipping), so the time and parts and headaches may not be worth it.
-Joe Hart

oldschoolanalog

After seeing this; I have to agree with you Joe:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-6156&utm_source=googleps
Less than $40! :icon_eek:

edit: shipping is a bit high; but it still comes in @ < $50...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Joe Hart

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 11, 2011, 08:54:30 PM
Or buy a Behringer clone.  Same pedal in a cheaper box.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CC300.aspx

Yikes. $35.71 on Amazon. Does it really sound the same, though?
-Joe Hart

oldschoolanalog

According to the reviews of several "professional" (okay, that can mean literally anything  :icon_lol:) musicians; it's got all the sound and more versatility. You can turn on more than one preset at a time.
Hmmm.

Seven64

yea, kinda wanting to see the guts of the behringer.  this one is pretty crazy. 

on the topiccone project file, i have tried to get john lyons and guitarpcb.com to etch the pcb but john has been busy and i have never heard back from barry after multiple emails.

Seven64

yea, that behringer sounds really nice, very fluid with all 4 buttons on at the same time.  i just dont understand how they could copy this pedal and make a profit at under $40

i think i may replace all the green caps with ceramic discs to enhance the sound.  i have done this on an older bf2 and it sounds incredible.  i think its because the ceramic discs are smaller so they take less time to charge and discharge.  i dunno if i wanna risk messing up this pedal tho.

Rodgre

I have both the Boss and the Behringer. For the price, the Behringer is pretty impressive but sonically, it misses the real beauty of the Boss, which is subtlety. If I could figure out how to mod the Behringer for a shallower sweep, it would give the Boss a run for it's money. As a normal chorus, the Behringer is great. As an invisible secret weapon, the Boss wins.

Seven64

Quote from: Rodgre on October 12, 2011, 01:09:16 AM
I have both the Boss and the Behringer. For the price, the Behringer is pretty impressive but sonically, it misses the real beauty of the Boss, which is subtlety. If I could figure out how to mod the Behringer for a shallower sweep, it would give the Boss a run for it's money. As a normal chorus, the Behringer is great. As an invisible secret weapon, the Boss wins.

can we get a gut shot of the behringer?

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Rodgre on October 12, 2011, 01:09:16 AM

As always, I will offer the caveat that, when comparing ONLY a single unit of two different products or issues of the same product, one shouldn't mistake any unit-to-unit variation resulting from component tolerances, for what might be a consistent characteristic across ALL units of two different products.  I'm not insisting that this is what happened in your case, but you know, 5% here, 5% there, and the differences between two things working from identical schematics can start to become audible.  It happens, and one shouldn't let it lead one on a wild goose chase, if possible.

Incidentally, the subject heading "Just picked this guy up" sounds like it is about to end either in a fantastic story of how you met Eddie van Halen, a tragic story involving a psychotic hitch-hiker or a rather disquieting and embarassing story about how wigs and makeup can successfully mask a person's actual sex.  :icon_wink:

marmora

DavenPaget

Quote from: Seven64 on October 11, 2011, 11:34:41 PM
yea, that behringer sounds really nice, very fluid with all 4 buttons on at the same time.  i just dont understand how they could copy this pedal and make a profit at under $40

i think i may replace all the green caps with ceramic discs to enhance the sound.  i have done this on an older bf2 and it sounds incredible.  i think its because the ceramic discs are smaller so they take less time to charge and discharge.  i dunno if i wanna risk messing up this pedal tho.

Huh ? Ceramic discs are less accurate and cheaper .
Those mylar caps are much better then ceramic discs unless they used really horrible mylar caps .
Well , as long as the capacitance is within same value polymer should take shorter to charge , due to the tighter difference between rated capacitance .
Ok fine , unless they are Multilayer ceramic capacitors .
Hiatus