Chopping a Boss Pedal

Started by Seven64, October 17, 2011, 08:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven64

Ok, so I have been tinkering with my Metal Zone for a while now, and have finally decided to go off the deep end.  I would like to remove the switching circuitry and convert it to true bypass. I plan on rehousing it, but I am not sure what size as of yet.  I would like to split the dual gang hi/lo eq knobs into their own pots, and eliminate the dual gang mid pot as i play with them turned down anyways.  Also tossing around the idea of throwing a tone control in it just to see how it sounds. 

if i scrap the tone control then i could design a pcb to be etched to replace the current vr board that the pots are mounted to currently, the problem with this is i am swapping out op amps, and would really like the space for using the sip to dip adaptors, as its REALLY hard to squeeze them into the boss enclosure.

i realize the boss switching system is great, and doesnt make that big of a difference unless it is in a large pedal chain, but i figure if i am rehousing the pedal anyways i might as well make it easier on me because it would be quite difficult to re-house that switching system. 

anywhoo, i stumbled across this, and have been trying to discern it:

http://indyguitarist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2027.0

and i printed this out:

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8114/mt2diezelmodpc8.jpg

highlighting things and trying to work it out.

Lemme check if i understand this.... i remove all components he has in boxes (q9/q5/q6/q2/q3 with all caps, resistors and diodes) and put jumpers from the left side of R5 to the bottom of c4 and the right of c39 to the left of c33.  i would use #20 as the input and #1 as the output for my 3pdt switch at this point. 

i know the deal with q1 is an output buffer, is the deal with q11 an input buffer?  can i eliminate both of those also?  i have an amz buffer that i am putting at the end of my pedal chain, and possibly in the middle depending on how many pedals i end up with. 

on the mids deal, can i just not run wires 9-12, or will i have to figure out what value the pots are at when turned all the way down and add resistors in place of them?  could i eliminate the entire circuit around IC2?

as i type this i am starting to get the idea that i should probably just cut and paste the parts from this circuit that i do want to use, and build a layout for that, as it seems i am eliminating half the circuit. 

well, lets start with that if anyone even wants to check my work lol

Seven64

**update**

i printed it again, and highlighted the parts i want to use.  is this correct?

i dunno what to do with a few parts of it tho.  like coming off pin 1 of the eq ic it goes to a cap then a resistor then a cap/resistor in paralell then another cap before the level knob.  could i simplify that at all?  would my input start at r43 going into the distortion ic?

sorry for my newb-ness, i have not the first clue about how circuits work, i can just put them togeather so that they do work.  trying to learn it here now obviously.

Fender3D

Quote from: Seven64 on October 17, 2011, 08:09:38 AM
I realize the boss switching system is great, and doesn't make that big of a difference unless it is in a large pedal chain, but i figure if i am rehousing the pedal anyways i might as well make it easier on me because it would be quite difficult to re-house that switching system.

You simply need a momentary footswitch...  :icon_wink:

Lemme check if i understand this.... i remove all components he has in boxes (q9/q5/q6/q2/q3 with all caps, resistors and diodes) and put jumpers from the left side of R5 to the bottom of c4 and the right of c39 to the left of c33.

Yes, I'd remove Q4 also, it is the dry path when in (Boss) bypass.

i would use #20 as the input and #1 as the output for my 3pdt switch at this point.  

If you 're going to rid off the mids control, then you'd better remove IC2 and C11, then connect C5 positive lead to IC1 pin1.
Removing the output buffer, your output will be VR4 (Level) lug 2.
I wouldn't remove input buffer Q11, otherwise you're limited to ~100K input impedance when connecting a guitar.
If your buffer is in the same box, then your input will be C33 (remove R47!!!)

i know the deal with q1 is an output buffer, is the deal with q11 an input buffer?  can i eliminate both of those also?  i have an amz buffer that i am putting at the end of my pedal chain, and possibly in the middle depending on how many pedals i end up with.  

on the mids deal, can i just not run wires 9-12, or will i have to figure out what value the pots are at when turned all the way down and add resistors in place of them?  could i eliminate the entire circuit around IC2?
see above.

Yeah, at the end of the day you'd better redraw it all and design a new PCB...  :icon_lol:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Seven64

thanks man.  im starting on a breadboard thing, and trying to compile a component list.  hopefully i can get this figured out.  this thing sounds great with a 5532 at ic4 and an opa2134 at ic3.  prolly gonna use the 5532 for the eq chip as well, and just found all the transistor substitutions.  gonna call it the death hammer i think :D

ddpawel

Looks very similar to DOD Grunge.

Seven64

what i am trying to do or the metal zone?