question about a momentary switch

Started by FUZZZZzzzz, October 19, 2011, 07:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FUZZZZzzzz

i need a momentary switch that can connect 3 points at once.. do they exist? and where can i find them?
they have to go on the outside of a casing.. so no pcb stuff ;)
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

LucifersTrip

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 19, 2011, 07:30:56 AM
i need a momentary switch that can connect 3 points at once.. do they exist?

you mean a 3PDT pushbutton?

and where can i find them?
they have to go on the outside of a casing.. so no pcb stuff ;)

outside? you mean not directly on the board and not mounted in the box?   where does it go?
always think outside the box

R.G.

They don't exist as a standard item that I know of.

That little phrase "three things at once" gets very, very tricky, because the word "at once" has many possible interpretations. How close to "at once" do you need, and what ugly things happen if it makes to one, then two, then three, or two and three, then one, or ... you see the problem. Simultaneous is very difficult.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

earthtonesaudio

3pdt momentary

Of course I could be misunderstanding the question... ???

Mark Hammer

I don't think you're misunderstanding the question as it was asked.  But RG's qualification is worth considering.  If it is a simple matter of having an unlatched true bypass with indicator LED for something you don't want to leave on (and my preference would be to use something like that for a ring modulator), there is no great catastrophe potentiated by having each of those three sets of contacts "arrive" at their destinations slightly out of synchrony with each other.  There CAN be exotic circumstances, though, where there are certain gaps in arrival time of the contacts, even if very very small/short, that can cause problems.

So the original question needs some additional articulation/clarification.

Gurner

lol...   man asks for something...gets a link to what he needs...but apparently what really needs is further help!  :icon_mrgreen:

amptramp

You can get switch bodies that take up to four microswitches.  I have one low-profile pushbutton with two microswitches on it and I seem to recall there were switch bodies that have up to four microswitches.  These appear to be as close to simultaneous as I have seen.

R.G.

Quote from: amptramp on October 19, 2011, 05:56:51 PM
These appear to be as close to simultaneous as I have seen.
That is literally correct: "as close to simultaneous as I have seen".
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

FUZZZZzzzz

http://www.banzaimusic.com/PIC-PB11-RED.html

i meant something like this but with three lugs.. nothing fancy ;)

i have a bend drumcomputer where i can trigger the individual sounds when three points are connected.. but a momentary 3 pdt is a little too much, spacewise.. so i was just wondering about possible (cheap) equivalents as too the one in the link..

FUZZZZzzzz

funny? try explaining something in dutch for me while you're at it.

thanks guys for the answers already..maybe i just wasnt very clear on the subject.. see post above

Quote from: Gurner on October 19, 2011, 02:12:41 PM
lol...   man asks for something...gets a link to what he needs...but apparently what really needs is further help!  :icon_mrgreen:

FUZZZZzzzz

egasimus

maybe just a tiny DPST momentary, wired like this?

#1---[ |  /| ]---#2
    [   /   ]
#2---[ |/  | ]---#3

They're not a commonplace item, but there are ways to mechanically connect two switches... like this. I know you said no PCB, but this is so tiny that you could make it on a small piece of perf and panel mount it.

Or, you could use a dpdt momentary and ignore one row...

FUZZZZzzzz

Gurner

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 24, 2011, 02:49:42 PM
just found these on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-pcs-Momentary-Black-Push-Button-Switch-2A-5A-3pin-/330532435344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf544b590#ht_500wt_1011

will this work? 3 separate wires connected when you press the switch? and separate when released?

No that's not how they work....there are three tags...the middle is common ...one 'outer' tag->middle tag is normally open, the other 'outer' tag-> middle is normally closed - when you push the switch down, the side that is "normally open" therefore closes, and the side that is normally closed opens.

Verstaat u mij?

FUZZZZzzzz

thanks.. im gonna try and use momentary dpdt switches...

if I'm correct i can use something like this for the switching

electricteeth

Forgive a noob for dropping in here but i wanted to bring up the subject of switch popping. Lots of true bypassing with a momentary may lead to a pop every time you press or depress the switch! May need some extra circuitry?  :icon_mad:

electricteeth

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 24, 2011, 04:43:56 PM
thanks.. im gonna try and use momentary dpdt switches...

if I'm correct i can use something like this for the switching

I don't see a problem if it truly a momentary switch.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me