i need reassurance, newb question

Started by buildafriend, October 23, 2011, 01:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buildafriend

I need an alpha 10K Potentiometer reverse log/audio taper. I can just wire a regular log/audio 10K Potentiometer in reverse and it will work the same as the reverse one right?

CynicalMan

Yes, the knob will just work in the opposite direction.

Quackzed

it will be reverse log/audio but it will have the opposite rotation, full clockwise will become full counter-clockwise and vise versa...
theyll both be reverse log, but one right to left, and the 'reversed' log left to right...
ok now im a little dizzy...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

buildafriend

Quote from: Quackzed on October 23, 2011, 01:33:01 PM
it will be reverse log/audio but it will have the opposite rotation, full clockwise will become full counter-clockwise and vise versa...
theyll both be reverse log, but one right to left, and the 'reversed' log left to right...
ok now im a little dizzy...

hahaha okay thanks :)

newfish

For extra 'coolth', label your control up in reverse.

I have a 'Small clone' clone (clone squared?) with a 'slow' control, as I used exactly the same trick for my 'can't find a reverse log pot' speed control.

Cheers!
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

buildafriend

I am actually really looking forward to having my pots work in reverse. This is actually for a mic pre though. sorry to be slightly off topic for this forum. Now I am tackling this issue:

I am going to use 3 toggle style switches for this: http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/312-schematic.pdf

I am a newb and I don't know what pin out and switching style I should be using. I think either 3pdt or 2pdt.. and it should be ON/ON.. I think? 

CynicalMan

buildafriend

Quote from: CynicalMan on October 23, 2011, 03:52:13 PM
Those are DPDT on-on switches.

people like you are why I love this place :) its time to order.

CynicalMan

amptramp

How to convert log audio to reverse log audio:

buildafriend

Quote from: amptramp on October 23, 2011, 06:58:43 PM
How to convert log audio to reverse log audio:

hahahaha mechanical visual noted.

Main.Ace.FX

There may be an issue with a change the tapering when you reverse a log pot instead of using a dedicated reverse log, but it never stopped me in the past.  It's easier to just reverse the wiring than having to go and get reverse logs.  I never found much of an issue with the taper...whatever works for you

nexekho

Quote from: Main.Ace.FX on October 24, 2011, 09:17:53 AM
I never found much of an issue with the taper

I'm maybe one of the three people on Earth who can't stand non-linear taper on anything, especially volume controls.  Gingerly roll it up from zero... yep, that's right.  *five minutes later* I want more!  Roll it up... oh, is that it!  25% of the dial does nothing!
I made the transistor angry.

Main.Ace.FX

Quote from: nexekho on October 24, 2011, 11:11:54 AM
I'm maybe one of the three people on Earth who can't stand non-linear taper on anything, especially volume controls. 

I agree with you there.  I do use log tapers, but it's definitely not necessary.  If you're happy with the results, then that's the most important

slacker