FX looper and A/B (might be easy)

Started by vendettav, October 25, 2011, 06:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vendettav

Hey guys, I haven't thought deep into this yet (I'm sure it won't be too complicated) but still thought to ask: can I make a FX looper (true bypass/send-return-on) but also have it so that I can change between A/B while one of the jacks (say send) is not plugged

so:
J1: input
J2: send
J3: return
J4: output

and when the return (better i guess) is not plugged then
J1: input
J2: output B
J4: output A

I guess there should be something to do with the 3rd pin on a mono jack for J2

wiring diagrams? :)
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

dthurstan

I made a looper pedal following the diagrams here:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/index.htm

Not returning the signal path to the return socket will allow you to use your looper as a and A/B switch. Follow the signal path in the diagrams in the above link.

vendettav

I guess that's what I am after. hey do you think a feedback loop knob with a Otaver in the loop and sometimes a flanger is a good idea or is it just a waste of a pot?  :icon_lol:
check my music HERE

Ben N

I don't have it anymore, but I used to use the loop in my Guvnor (the old black one, not the little silver one) as an A/B. I used the Guvnor as my distortion channel. The loop jack was stereo, with the tip as send and the ring as return, so by using a mono pug, the return was grounded, muting the signal at the "out" jack. 
  • SUPPORTER

Main.Ace.FX

Quote from: vendettav on October 25, 2011, 07:50:25 AM
hey do you think a feedback loop knob with a Otaver in the loop and sometimes a flanger is a good idea or is it just a waste of a pot?  :icon_lol:

feedback loops are all about experimentation...some pedals sound better than others, and the combo of effects used in the loop gives a huge possibility of new sounds...just have fun with it! (btw-the beavis audio link a few posts ago is a great place to start)

p_wats

Quote from: dthurstan on October 25, 2011, 07:27:16 AM
I made a looper pedal following the diagrams here:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/index.htm

Not returning the signal path to the return socket will allow you to use your looper as a and A/B switch. Follow the signal path in the diagrams in the above link.

Funny, I'd never thought of that before! Now that's a pedal with a useful dual purpose...

Main.Ace.FX

Quote from: p_wats on October 25, 2011, 10:16:39 AM
Funny, I'd never thought of that before! Now that's a pedal with a useful dual purpose...

Totally!!  I've built one with a built in voltage controller also

p_wats

Quote from: Main.Ace.FX on October 25, 2011, 10:28:58 AM
Quote from: p_wats on October 25, 2011, 10:16:39 AM

Totally!!  I've built one with a built in voltage controller also

That's awesome! How does it work?

Main.Ace.FX

Quote from: p_wats on October 25, 2011, 10:46:15 AM
That's awesome! How does it work?

The feedback loop and voltage control work differently with different pedals, some respond well, some not...I find it useful to have a true bypass loop, feedback, and voltage controls (all good additions to existing effects units) all in one box....I hope to have a production version in the Main.Ace.FX line soon.

vendettav

w00t seems like a lot of people interested? :)

I'll be making it tomorrow and I also thought I'll have voltage input for an LED (probably two LEDs) and like voltage output to all my other pedals  :) you think I should have a master CREEP (voltage sag) knob?

EDIT: mmm actually if you dont return the return path and use it as a/b, is it going to be noisy?
check my music HERE

dthurstan

Yeah those Beavis Audio links are great. I built a feedbacker recently but I wasn't happy with it just being a feedbacker so with the flick of a switch it becomes a buff'n'blend! As the jfet buffer is always in the signal path I'm not sure if it's affecting the feedback operation. The pot is 100k lin so that could be also affect the feedback control. I'm gonna post a thread about it in a bit.

dthurstan

Hey I was messing around with my bypass looper and I have the connections mixed up.

guitar selector:
guitar 1 > i/p
guitar 2 > rtn
o/p > amp

amp selector:
guitar > o/p
i/p > amp 1
rtn > amp 2

vendettav

ok here's a question: I guess I'll be having two LEDs for channel switching (in case I ever need it :P ) but if I put Green for FX loop on and Red for FX loop off should I label RTRN A or B? I want A to be Green and B to be Red. so which one where :P I know it's a picky question but still  :icon_redface:
check my music HERE