Group Buy: legit, non-fake CA3080AE ICs - new from Rochester Electronics

Started by The Groke, October 25, 2011, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Groke

Hi,

I've been in touch with Rochester Electronics about getting some CA3080AE ICs (8 pin DIP).  I called Intersil about this company, and a tech informed me that Intersil sold their remaining wafers and dies for the 3080 series to Rochester, so the parts are completely legit and newly manufactured. Given that every single 3080 that I've bought on ebay has been a fake (or at least not working), Rochester seems like a great alternative for this part. 

Unfortunately, the minimum order is $250.00.  The ICs cost $2.50 each, so I'd have to get 100. I'm thinking of keeping 50 - would anyone else be interested in getting some? I wouldn't add any markup... I'm sure there must be more people on this forum trying to get the real thing... I guess $25.00 for a lot of 10 plus a couple bucks for shipping would be ideal. Not cheap... I know. But you would know they were real.  I'd forward any emails from Rochester if anyone wants price/product verification (I don't really have much of a track record on this forum... more of a lurker, sorry).  I guess PM me if you are interested... and say how many you would want. I can pay up front for the initial order of 100, and then ship when people pay me... but if lots of people are interested and if I bump the order total up higher than 100, I would probably have to ask for advance payment.

If someone has a better protocol for handling such things... let me know. I'm just guessing my way through this.

best,

Damon

digi2t

Bought mine off EBay, from this seller, here's the link;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-Original-Harris-CA3080-CA3080E-IC-Chips-OP-AMP-/180429041161?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a0268ae09

For 20 bux, you get 10, at 2 bux a pop, free shipping.

Are they real? I bought them, and they worked just fine in my Vocalizer clone.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

The Groke

Thanks for the link. I'm just a bit hesitant to buy from Hong Kong... I've been burned on three buys.  Also... it was just brought to my attention that my post is not acceptable for this forum. I will pull it down and post on another forum. best - DT

slacker

I can't see how your post is not acceptable, it might be better in the For Sale sub forum, but you've done nothing wrong.

The Groke

Hm, well... I will leave it up (couldn't figure out how to delete it anyways. :)

I did look up the ebay seller (leemoom611 ) that was suggested by another member. That seller has quite a lot of feedback with the word "fake" in it. I will stick with my original plan to buy from the manufacturer - Rochester Electronics. It's worth 50 more cents per IC for me to know it is real.

theehman

Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Scruffie

Quote from: slacker on October 25, 2011, 02:12:09 PM
I can't see how your post is not acceptable, it might be better in the For Sale sub forum, but you've done nothing wrong.
Apparently we're not allowed group buys... for some reason.

theehman

Quote from: Scruffie on October 25, 2011, 02:58:50 PM

That's BS.  We did it a few years ago for Coolaudio BBDs.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

The Groke

I guess I'll continue on here until I am told not to post about this.

Anyways, more news: it was suggested that I check on the price break for more units, and I emailed one of the reps (Heather B.) again. This is what she sent:

CA3080AE - Qty 100-499 pcs -stock - Price - $2.27 each - MFR - REI - date code 1114

The reps are a bit tough to deal with at Rochester. I've spoken to three people and received three prices. I also got in a big argument with two of them about package types, because they were trying to tell me that 3080E was a metal can... as far as I know, it's always a DIP. I'm pretty sure that they had no idea what package type actually means. Very strange. I know this place is legit, cause I called Intersil about them... so I'm not worried. I just think the staff is undertrained and perhaps different people have different power with pricing.

But anyways.. it looks like we can get 100 or more for 2.27 each (not much difference, but it's something). The date code is 2011 because these are newly manufactured... and they are made in Newburyport MA (home to Plum Island... a very nice beach :) USA. no Hong Kong re-stamped who knows what....

Scruffie

Quote from: theehman on October 25, 2011, 03:00:52 PM

That's BS.  We did it a few years ago for Coolaudio BBDs.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=22342.0
QuoteNo group buys.

Aint my rules... I don't see why either.

Scruffie

Quote from: The Groke on October 25, 2011, 03:32:51 PM

Please do, i'm only saying what it says, I think these things are great personally.

QuoteI also got in a big argument with two of them about package types, because they were trying to tell me that 3080E was a metal can... as far as I know, it's always a DIP.

The CA3080E Did come in a metal can package in the past, they may be producing the ones used in the MXR Dyna Comp Script models perhaps? That would explain how they stilll use them in a mass production pedal, i'm suprised unless there was a request they'd use the metal can packaginng, I assume it was discontinued because it was more of a pain to produce.

Govmnt_Lacky

I am also FOR the group buy effort. I am not interested in this particular offer however, I would like to comment about the "For Sale policies..."

A few weeks ago, I wanted to sell some pedals to generate some quick cash for a personal matter. I PM'd aron about my plight to which he politely answered "Go ahead!" For this, I am grateful and appreciative  :icon_biggrin:

After reviewing the rules, I find that there are a great many VIOLATIONS of those rules on a daily basis  :icon_rolleyes:

Anywhere from business owners linking products from their online businesses to flat out saying "Hey... we are open now, come shop here" kinds of posts.

If you want to go down to the gnats rear... ANYONE who posts pics of their builds that include a "builder's logo" is a form of business advertisement.

In the end, Aron makes the rules. If he says it's good then there is no need to worry. All I am saying is that what is good for the goose is good for the gander!

EDIT: Let me clarify. I am FOR the group buy effort AS LONG AS the item IS NOT available in the DIYStomp store!!!  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

The Groke

Oh, I do realize that there are some can types for these (I have some in my Arp Odyssey), and I did of course check some data sheets. But the metal cans (on the Harris and Intersil ones at least) are all indicated by either no suffix (CA3080) or a T (CA3080T) - or something like that. E (I think) is always a plastic DIP. AE is also supposed to be a plastic DIP package.

Anyways, I got the reps to admit that they weren't actually looking at data sheets (they were looking up info on part miner or something).  Funny that they couldn't just email a tech. As I said... it's not the best customer service situation over at Rochester. But they have the goods...

Thanks to all in support of the group buy... hopefully a few more will sign on so we can all get these things....

Barcode80

Quote from: Scruffie on October 25, 2011, 03:36:43 PM
Quote from: The Groke on October 25, 2011, 03:32:51 PM

Please do, i'm only saying what it says, I think these things are great personally.

QuoteI also got in a big argument with two of them about package types, because they were trying to tell me that 3080E was a metal can... as far as I know, it's always a DIP.

The CA3080E Did come in a metal can package in the past, they may be producing the ones used in the MXR Dyna Comp Script models perhaps? That would explain how they stilll use them in a mass production pedal, i'm suprised unless there was a request they'd use the metal can packaginng, I assume it was discontinued because it was more of a pain to produce.

CA3080E's came in both, for sure.

Quote from: Scruffie on October 25, 2011, 03:33:16 PM
Quote from: theehman on October 25, 2011, 03:00:52 PM

That's BS.  We did it a few years ago for Coolaudio BBDs.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=22342.0
QuoteNo group buys.

Aint my rules... I don't see why either.

This whole no group buy thing is news to me....??? Perhaps Aron can chime in and explain why it would be an issue. We've done it like a million times...

By the way, Steve Daniels at smallbear already sells the DIP CA3080E at that exact price. He has 163 in stock, and you can order just one :)

The Groke

hah... I swear smallbear didn't have them when I last looked. It's magic :).  Well... this offer is still up at exact price of 2.27. Or maybe I should just email Steve and see if he wants to go in with me to get more. But yeah, I guess it makes less sense to most of you now.... we'll see. Pipe in if you are still interested.

slacker

Quote from: Barcode80 on October 25, 2011, 04:15:23 PM
This whole no group buy thing is news to me....??? Perhaps Aron can chime in and explain why it would be an issue. We've done it like a million times...

Yeah, I'd not seen that before either, be interesting to know why.

Greenmachine

I'm for group-buys too.  It's great to catch a break once in awhile with this expensive hobby!  I think Aron's store should be respected though, as someone else mentioned.

therecordingart

I've had a few different items that could've been group buys, but they aren't allowed around here. I think the grey area lies in under cutting the parts dealers that are affiliated with this community. It's Aron's show and I respect his decisions, but there are a lot of deals out there that don't undercut him and his buddies.

aron

The group buy limitation has always been like this. Sorry guys.

That being said, let me think about things some more.

CynicalMan

Maybe we could organize group buys on the condition that they're distributed by the forum store (they wouldn't need to be bought by the store, but they could be). That would encourage forumites to combine shipping and order stuff from the store.