VST?amp.sim.Question?aron or anyone that grabbed

Started by donald stringer, October 04, 2003, 08:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

I down loaded the readme txt. and uninstall. Also , I have the other file but my question is what is a .dll and where do I copy it to inorder to get this thing to work? I havent played with this sort of thing before. A short instructional would be much appreciated.
troublerat

Nasse

The dll should be copied where your VST plugins are, something like c:\program files\steinberg\cubase\vstplugins or what is your main program that supports vst plugins, probaply there is settings or info where files must be installed.

Thanx for Aron and Ammscray for links. Few nice plugins and more, the best things in life are free.

I installed that amp thing, have not tried with guitar audio files but virtual bass gtr sounded nice trough it.
  • SUPPORTER

hank reynolds 3rd

for some cool free plugins look for 'tobybear' , smartelectronix and destroyfx....
these guys do some f**kin kick ass freeware/shareware stuff that'll cave yr head in (aswell as some more classic stuff, eq/compressor (the H20 compressor thingy is cool....and looks sweet too!!! :shock:  :wink: )...
also check out kvr....its got a search engine for free stuff....

sam

aron

Yes, the .dll goes into your VST Plug-ins folder.

There's another free one that Rob Strand found that is good as well. I will post the URL next week when I am back at that computer.

gez

Although not exactly 'free', Computer Music magazine 'gives away' a load of VSTs with each issue.  Their sequencer is superb, and some of the virtual synth plug-ins are great fun (I love the Tau for bass lines).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Rob Strand

I think it was this one,
http://www.simulanalog.org/GSuite.zip

The phaser is very good, one of the better ones I've heard (In many ways I  like it more than the one I wrote - not that mine is finished.)
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

donald stringer

Some where in the licence agreement part of the green amp mach. it saythat  if you dont have a host for the plug ins dont bother downloading anything because they wont work. Thats a shame because I was wanting to learn some more about the tech. behind amp. sim. Isnt these type of programs somewhat of a basis for the software used to program amp. sim. in the manufacturers of  line six amps., or generally speaking  any type of amp. sim. used in any effects processors[digitech], pod etc. Going back to the VST problem ,I am thinking that the main problem is win. 98 and maybe its time to upgrade from 5.0 to 9.0 Are these types of programs only for use on macs?
troublerat

cd

Think of a VST effect or VST instrument as a plain PCB board with components on it... the required VST Host program provides the input/output jacks and knobs (or the interface from your sound card to your speakers.)  Where it gets more complicated is:

- VST effects/instruments made for MacOS 9 USUALLY do not work with a MacOS X host (and vice versa).  To complicate things, OS X has a new standard (AudioUnits) which work in a similar way.
- VST effects/instruments written for MacOS do not work in Windows (and vice versa) - this is logical.  However many VST effects/instruments have versions for both Macs and PCs.

There are lots of simple VST hosts out there, for MacOS 9 and X I would recommend VSTi Host, compatibility is good (works with Amplitube for instance) but it's not super stable.  The interface is relatively straightforward though.  For PC you could try FXPansion Simple VST Host.