So I finished building this and it worked.....
at least for a few minutes!
There was a lot of noise from the output of delay 1. I checked voltages and pins 5,6,7 & 8 were quite different to those of delay 2. Whilst probing around debugging I managed to short something and out came the magic smoke. The regulator got pretty hot, thats had it.
Taking a break before getting back to it. It did sound nice while it lasted...
This is the biggest problem with a tightly packed vero layout. Debugging is a pain in the butt.
edit: I think I found the culprit causing the noise. Whilst preparing the board I put a cut in the wrong place. I made a mental note at the time that I would need to move c2 and c3 over. I guess my mental notes are of the wipe clean variety!
I noted the current draw from my 9v supply was 70mA so I guess using the TO-92 package regulator would be fine.
Looks like this should work once I swap out the burnt regulator and check if anything else got damaged. Hopefully I can verify this layout pretty soon.