I Wanna Make A Tremolo...Suggestions?

Started by Ultrakd, October 31, 2011, 12:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultrakd

Ok first I was looking at making the GGG EA Tremolo. But I like something that has a lot of options versatility. So then I started looking at the Tremulus Lune. But I wasnt sure which of the Tremulus Lune pedal pcbs are the best? Should I use the Tonepad pcb, the one from 4ms Pedals or this onehttp://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Gila_Crisis/varius_stuff/Tremulus_Vero_NewRev.GIF.html. Which one do you guys think is best? I liked the ones with the Aux LFO but dont think I would ever really use it. But I would like to have the ramp up/down switch and a second volume knob. Does anyone have any suggestions or any recommendations of other pedals that are good versatile tremolos?
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM
Amps:  Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3, Wave Breaker Tremolo,

jmasciswannabe

Not sure if taylor still has boards for the tap tempo tremolo of his, but it is a fantastic trem that is very versatile. I've built several lunes as well and the tonepad board/layout is great. I remmeber building one from the 4ms site and having to bend all the legs back on the IC chips because I forgot to reverse the image. Anyway, good luck!!
....the staircase had one too many steps

hannibal827

The Tonepad layout works great.  I didn't buy the PCB, but I used this layout for a perfboard build.
Pedals built: Pulsar; Uglyface; Slow Gear; Tri-Vibe; Tremulus Lune; Blues Driver; Fender Pro Vibrato; Nyquist Aliaser; Ultra Flanger; Clone Theory; Ibanez FL-301; Echo Base; Electric Mistress (Deluxe); Boss CE-2; Gristleizer; Maestro Filter Sample/Hold.

KazooMan

I'll second the recommendation for the Tap Tempo Tremolo.  I did buy a commercial board from Taylor and it was a real joy to work with.  I haven't followed the TTT threads lately so I don't know if he has any more boards available.  If not, perhaps he would be willing to share the template for you to make your own.

Mark Hammer

The Small Bear Tremulous Bear has some pretty impressive sounds, and much achievable variation.  There is also a very detailed tutorial on how to make it at the Small Bear site.

Ultrakd

Where can I find the Tap Tempo Tremolo? I would really love a tap tempo.
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3, Wave Breaker Tremolo,

Ultrakd

Ok awesome thanks..Does anyone have any sound clips of ones they have made? Or does anyone know were I could find one? How hard of a build is this? Do the pots allow it to be very versatile, the vales seem to be smaller than are in most trem pedals.

.Mike

Quote from: Ultrakd on October 31, 2011, 11:28:11 AM
Ok awesome thanks..Does anyone have any sound clips of ones they have made? Or does anyone know were I could find one? How hard of a build is this? Do the pots allow it to be very versatile, the vales seem to be smaller than are in most trem pedals.
There are some sound clips, but you'll have to search for them. There is a very big build topic that you should check out here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84020

It is not a particularly difficult build, bit it isn't as simple as a booster or a fuzz pedal either. Not recommended as a first build, but definitely doable for someone who has built 3-4 pedals already.

The actual values of the pots have little impact on this circuit. The tremolo is controlled by a microprocessor, and the pots are used to feed the microprocessor between 0 and 5V DC. The audio path is analog.

It is very versatile. Very. :)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

MikeH

I constantly evaluate the "Complexity vs Reward" aspect of each build I do.  IOW, what you put into it vs what you get out of it.  The Trem Lune is one of those builds where the vast functionality and versatility majorly tips the scales, compared to what it takes to build one.  It's really only a modestly complex build (really actually super simple except for the off board wiring) and it does SO MUCH.  My favorite DIY trem for sure.  Actually, my favorite trem period.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Ultrakd

Quote from: .Mike on October 31, 2011, 11:36:05 AM
Quote from: Ultrakd on October 31, 2011, 11:28:11 AM
There are some sound clips, but you'll have to search for them. There is a very big build topic that you should check out here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84020

It is not a particularly difficult build, bit it isn't as simple as a booster or a fuzz pedal either. Not recommended as a first build, but definitely doable for someone who has built 3-4 pedals already.

The actual values of the pots have little impact on this circuit. The tremolo is controlled by a microprocessor, and the pots are used to feed the microprocessor between 0 and 5V DC. The audio path is analog.

It is very versatile. Very. :)

Mike

Yeah I just when through that whole thread lol....Ive built a couple pedals..My first was a BYOC Overdrive 2 and Im working on 2 GGG Russians right now :) lol

digi2t

+1 on the Tremulus Lune, but....

++1 on the Stereo Panneur. 2 Tem Lunes, in the same box. Stereo in, stereo out. You can sync the two sides, or run them wild apart. :icon_mrgreen:

One of my faves amoung my pedals.

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Ultrakd

Im really liking the Tap Tempo Tremolo I think Im gonna take a stab at this one.. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

KazooMan

You will really like the results.  It is a pretty simple build, you just need a big enough box to fit everything in while allowing room to tap the "Tap Tempo" switch easily.  It's not just one big STOMP and we're rockin', you need to be able to tap out the proper tempo.  Not a really big deal, but leave yourself enough room to make this a no brainer.

Mine worked exactly as advertised from the get go.  The only issue I had (still have) is that I took another stab at etching the enclosure and I got a few undesired pits along with the good stuff.

I suggest that you read through the long thread on this pedal before you start so you can avoid any potential pitfalls and take advantage of some really good advice. 

The thread is still alive and there are many who are ready to help you if you run into trouble.

Good luck!  Have fun, and enjoy your tremolo!