L6 Echo Park - external tap mods?

Started by swinginguitar, November 03, 2011, 03:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinginguitar

Any one ever add an external tap jack to the echo park? would it be as simple as i think it would?

also wondering - if you wired a jack to the internal momentary switch, would it also send tap timing when the pedal is tapped down that jack?

IOW, could you have it slave to an external tap switch, or use it to master another pedal with tap input?

Mark Hammer

Having taken one or two apart, I will confirm that each "dock" in the ToneCore series has two switches internally underneath a common treadle/actuator.  They are slightly staggered in height/profile such that the treadle depresses the soft-touch momentary before it has any impact on the "clickable one".  Apart from any risk of clock noise bleeding through (whch would be ultrasonic, even if it occurred) there would seem to be no reason why you could NOT run a cable to another secondary tap-tempo switch.

Note, however, that unless you remove the one already there, stepping on the treadle to engage or bypass the effect may have some bearing on what you thought the tapped tempo was and whether it is currently reflected.

Personally, I could see drilling into Fort Knox with a Black and Decker easier than popping a hole into one of those docks.  That is some kinda chassis!

BTW, if you have never done so, I encourage you to experiment with "re-echo".  Read more here: http://hammer.ampage.org/

swinginguitar

interesting on the re-echo - never thought of it that way.

wonder if it coul dbe used to get a galloping type delay out og teh EP? (too bad the multi tap programs arent set up for quarter + dotted 8th)

Mark Hammer

Without wishing to derail, I also own a Liqui-Flange, and plugging into a channel of one pedal, then a channel of the other then back to the alternate channel of the first one then to the second one is........  :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

swinginguitar

re-railing back to the original post, would an external jack be able to send or receive?

in my minds eye it would work, since either way that circuit is being pulled low/high...

Mark Hammer

Quote from: swinginguitar on November 03, 2011, 03:18:55 PM
IOW, could you have it slave to an external tap switch, or use it to master another pedal with tap input?
I had answered the first part of your original post, but not the part above.  I'm likely not the only resource on the matter, but I have to say that I don't know.  I repaired the bypass switch on one but never bothered to look and see if it was simply a SPST that grounded out, or something else.  The likelihood of being able to easily do what you suggest above would depend on the compatibility in methods of producing tap tempo in the various pedals involved.

The other route to take is to use a master momentary tap switch, harnessed to an unlatched multi-pole relay.  Tap the switch and whatever contacts need to be closed on pedals A, B, C are closed in simultaneous fashion.  Not that relays are fragile little buggers, but you do realize that such an application may demand enough out of the relay to result in a less-than-maximum lifespan?

Incidentally, what you are alluding to is what Craig Anderton first started describing and advocating as "synchrosonic" approaches to music and MIDI back in the early 80's.

quarantine1

tap jack addition is totally do able man. Just did one last night. make sure you use the diagonal contacts for the jack. I used my battery compartment space for the jack. also check out this guy he's got some pics>> http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2285

riverasampayo

I started my mod by removing the mechanical temp switch.  The pedal stop working (haven't check on sound but leds stop bliking once I connected back the pedal to the chain and the power).  Is there anything missing here?  Thx in advance....