Roland Phase II AP2 board and layout?

Started by system100m, August 15, 2021, 01:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

system100m

r080

Some Boss and Roland pedals have service manuals with the schematic, parts list, and a layout. That is certainly how I would start searching, and I did. I could not find a layout. It is possible it has not risen to the popularity necessary for people to clone it

If you are hoping to build a phaser, there are plenty of projects available. I have plans to build the Causality 4 phaser, which has available PCB and vero layouts for multiple versions.

Also, a great way to search is to use the google site search like this: "site:diystompboxes.com whatever_you_are_looking_for"
Rob

Mark Hammer

Quote from: r080 on August 19, 2021, 09:54:33 AM
Some Boss and Roland pedals have service manuals with the schematic, parts list, and a layout. That is certainly how I would start searching, and I did. I could not find a layout. It is possible it has not risen to the popularity necessary for people to clone it

If you are hoping to build a phaser, there are plenty of projects available. I have plans to build the Causality 4 phaser, which has available PCB and vero layouts for multiple versions.

Also, a great way to search is to use the google site search like this: "site:diystompboxes.com whatever_you_are_looking_for"
Good advice and I have yet to find such a mythical factory service document with schematic, specs, and board layout, such as one can find for many other Boss pedals.  May of these posted documents are scanned, and even when there is a board layout, the clarity is wanting.

I'm sure it sounds fine but the AP-2 is not an exceptional phaser.  It has variable resonance and has 6 stages, both of which are commendable - six stages seems optimal for guitar - but it has fixed sweep width, which needs some attention.  Note that the more stages used in a FET-based phaser, the greater the need to match the FETs.  This may be why it uses fixed sweep width; to assure staying within the range where all FETs change drain-source resistance.  One can alter sweep width by tinkering with the values of R52 and R53, but there are no assurances that one or more of those FETs won't crap out near the top or bottom of that sweep.  It also uses the drain-gate network to stave off FET distortion until hotter signal levels are reached.