New to the formums. DIY'r Parts recommendation JAPAN!

Started by ScrewitIllDoitMyself, November 11, 2011, 03:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScrewitIllDoitMyself

Hello,

I'm Doc. This is my first post here in the forums.

This site is AMAZING. You really have inspired me to start building some of my own gear.

I just found out some interesting news. Sometime in the NEAR future, I will be traveling to Japan for work with a LOT of downtime.

I am making it a priority to shop in AKIHABARA, Tokyo for parts. (I will have a translator with me who has electronics background)

My question is this: If you had the chance to go to Japan and buy ANY part(s) for building pedals, what would you buy? I'm talking capacitors, transistors, etc. No budget limits.

Are there parts you would get that are easily accessible in Japan, but NOT where you live?
Are there any parts that are like HOLY GRAIL that you would love to have? Have to have, Kill to have??!?!?!

Help me build a list of Quality stuff to look for, and while I'm over there, maybe I will pick you up some!
Message here or PM me.

I just wanna have an idea of what I should get. I want GOOD quality parts not just OK quality.

PLEASE HELP A NEW GUY STARTING OUT!!
Thanks in advance.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: ScrewitIllDoitMyself on November 11, 2011, 03:40:05 PM

PLEASE HELP A NEW GUY STARTING OUT!!
Thanks in advance.

welcome...I have to admit for the vintage fuzz pedals I build, there's almost nothing in Japan I would look for that I can't get online.

But, I would look for odd, unusual, old enclosures and old vintage pedals in music shops and in their second hand shops.

good luck
always think outside the box

Mark Hammer

I find that I can get just about any transistor here, but the diodes, like the 1S15xx types you see so frequently mentioned in Japanese-based pedals, are often unavailable.  Now, whether they are any different than the more common sorts of silicon diodes found here (1N914, 1N4148, etc.), I am in no position to say.  But if a person is yearning for authenticity, then pick up a bunch.

There are also some kinds of chips that can be hard to get here, and that may be out-of-production, like some of the AN series or some of the M series, such as the AN829 or M5207L or M5241L or M5218L.  Essentially, keep an eye out for the seemingly oddball OTAs and gain cells.

And of course, if you find any CEM or SSM chips, those are like gold.  Given the number of vintage synth players in Japan, though, you probably won't find any of those.

Another thing that may not seem worth looking for, but probably is, are unusual sorts of toggles.  Z-Vex, and some other manufacturers, use these terrific little low-profile toggles, with stubbier handles.  Those van be very handy for fitting into smaller spaces.

Jorge_S

Quote from: ScrewitIllDoitMyself on November 11, 2011, 03:40:05 PM
Help me build a list of Quality stuff to look for, and while I'm over there, maybe I will pick you up some!
Message here or PM me.

Check if you can find some Reticon SAD512D chips (the final D is IMPORTANT). If you do, BUY THEM ALL, I recently saw 2 of them go for $110+ at ebay. If you find them cheap, remember me and send one or two ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230692652032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_787wt_1397

These are used for doing REAL Analog Delay pedals and other analog modulation marvels... I don't know why they are not in production anymore :(

As for the other parts, stock yourself with:

• Polyester Film Capacitors (specially small boxed ones).
  • 1% resistors (maybe a whole E24 series x 100).
  • diodes
  • transistors
  • 3PDT's switches
  • mono and stereo high quality jacks
  • potentiometers & trimpots
  • a good soldering station (with temp control).
  • lead free solder: if it has silver in it, better, I use one "goot - Taiyo Electric Ind." with 0.3 silver.
  • assorted IC's depending on what you'll like to build

Have fun buying!

ScrewitIllDoitMyself

@Mark

I tried sending you a PM. I dont know if it worked, Let me know if you got it.

A.Gillies

Plain old stompbox enclosures would be good too if you can get them cheap, and I agree about the 3PDTs. And cool knobs.

Have fun!
It Goes To Eleven

darron

i found a strip of the ORIGINAL JRC4558D's ... wish i had more money to buy them out at the time....
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

bassesofdeath

Quote from: darron on November 14, 2011, 05:15:54 AM
i found a strip of the ORIGINAL JRC4558D's ... wish i had more money to buy them out at the time....
I recently picked up a strip of these at an old school supplier in my area.