valvecaster scratchy pots and amp

Started by smitty, November 13, 2011, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty

Hello,

I just built my first valvecaster and am getting very close to completion, however I am getting one anoying problem,
and that is when I touch the volume on my guitar, or the volume or gain pots on the valvecaster...  or turn the volume on my amp,
I get a really loud scratching noise...     When plugging straight into the amp it is very quiet with no scratching noises.  The Valvecaster
is not in an enclosure as of yet, and has been assembled using perfboard, but has not been installed in a metal enclosure.....

I did some researching of old posts, and found some info about having DC on the pots may cause scratching noise....  and
my pots DO have measurable DC on them....    would this be my problem?      If so,  any remedy?     outside of this, it
sounds really great,  just need to be rid of the scratching noise....   as it is distracting enough not to be used on my pedal board.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

smitty

Astronaurt

Yep, DC on the pots is almost certainly the cause of the problem. Check your coupling caps, as the Capacitors between stages block DC from getting into the next stage. If I remember correctly, there's a 10nF cap between the 2nd stage of the Valvecaster and the Tone and Volume controls. If that's left out, then you'll have the Bias voltage for the second stage appearing at the Volume Pot, so make sure you have it there, and if you DO have a cap there and the DC is still on it then the Cap may be busted; Try a new cap and if that doesn't solve the problem then I'd check your wiring. Also, It's generally good to have a cap (when in doubt I usually use a 1 uF cap) on the input as well as on the Output - these will make sure that the guitars volume control and the Amps input control don't get DC on them. Hope that helps!