News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

VST plugin as pedal?

Started by rudeez, November 07, 2011, 05:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudeez

Hi.

I have this thing running in my head for quite some time. I use a netbook, soundcard and homemade midi pedal live just to be able to use the reverb called Glaceverb, a tiny VST reverb that to me sounds amazing.
Here it is http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1566.html
I wonder if theres ANY way at all to be able to build a pedal thingy with oly this VST on it or in some way program a chip or anything alike with it?
It's just to unreliable to use a netbook and soundcard live.

Thanks,
Jimmie, Vildhjarta

meffcio

Maybe there's a way of using vst with this thing...
http://www.openstomp.com

CynicalMan

I'll bet that the credit card PC is far too slow to run VSTs.

There aren't really any ways to load VSTs DIY, and the non-DIY path either includes a laptop or the $2000 Receptor (edit: or the vmachine). What you might be able to do is record impulses from the reverb and use them in a FV-1 or a similar DSP chip. You'd have to ask someone more familiar with the FV-1 whether that's actually possible. You also might be able to do impulses with the open stomp, but I'm not really sure about that either.

rudeez

Basiccly theres no easy way to diy really. i was thinking about trying to find a reverb pedal or 2 to get as close as possible to the sound but.
That SM Pro Audio V-Machine looks like the best solution. And it's tiny in comparsion bringing external soundcard, laptop etc on stage and probably more reliable.
Problem is i read about them before but never find a place to buy them. For some reason i stumbled upon it on a swedish online musicstore right now and it was on sale, about half the regular price.
About $450, plenty money but it will cost e just as much to get some normal pedals. It does have line/guitar in right? i noticed it had two 1/4" outputs atleast.
Should be controllable by midi in some way right?

Taylor

Convolution reverb is not possible in the FV1, but it does do very nice algorithmic reverbs. That's the best you'll do that's DIY and doesn't use a computer, IMO.

The vmachines stuff is pretty cool and if you can find it and afford it, I would get it.

There's also the possibility of phone stuff now. I just got with the times and got a smartphone - Samsung Galaxy S II. With a dual-core 1.2ghz processor and a gig of RAM, it's more powerful than the computer I was using when I used to use plugins as my only effects. Even with an audio interface it would be cheaper than the vmachines. I have not tried to do anything with processing instruments with it, so I don't know how well it would work for that, but I see no hardware problems if anybody is working on a VST host for Android.

anchovie

Quote from: Taylor on November 13, 2011, 08:45:59 PM
There's also the possibility of phone stuff now. I just got with the times and got a smartphone - Samsung Galaxy S II. With a dual-core 1.2ghz processor and a gig of RAM, it's more powerful than the computer I was using when I used to use plugins as my only effects. Even with an audio interface it would be cheaper than the vmachines. I have not tried to do anything with processing instruments with it, so I don't know how well it would work for that, but I see no hardware problems if anybody is working on a VST host for Android.

The main issue is that the Android OS doesn't have a low-latency audio kernel for real-time DSP; that's why you only see Amplitube on iPhones at the moment. Hopefully this is something that'll be worked on for a future Android release.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Hides-His-Eyes

It doesn't seem to be much of a priority for google which is a crying shame given how more into 'hacking' stuff android users tend to be.

DavenPaget

Quote from: Hides-His-Eyes on November 20, 2011, 05:40:28 PM
It doesn't seem to be much of a priority for google which is a crying shame given how more into 'hacking' stuff android users tend to be.
Androids don't have low latency audio kernel for good reasons : Google is keeping it compact .
From the guy who has a 1.2ghz DC HTC Sensation Cyanogen & LG Optimus GT540 Cyanogen .
Hiatus