Tonepad's Big Muff Build Volume Knob Problem. Please Help!

Started by dlp, November 18, 2011, 08:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlp

I just built the Big Muff Triangle version using the Tonepad pcb.  Everything sounds great and as it should except for one problem.  When the volume knob is all the way down, there is no volume (which is good), as the knob turns up, so does the volume (which is also good).  The problem is that when the volume knob goes all the way up, the volume goes to zero.  What is doing this?  My instinct is that the pot is bad but this is only the second pedal I have built and I have no real reason to conclude this.  For the record though, I do know how to solder properly and my first pedal I built was an EHX Small Clone, also from tonepad, that I had working on the first try. 

If I need to post voltages and whatnot, please tell me and I will but I am a complete noob with this, so talk to me like I am 5 and please be patient.  I am an engineer but really only with a book, pencil and paper.  I have very little to none hands on experience.  Thanks a ton!

dlp

For anyone interested, I managed to solve this one on my own.  When I soldered the volume pot, it appears that some of the wire insulation melted into the joint.  I removed the soldered connection and resoldered it.  Problem solved!

stringsthings

that's a good troubleshooting job ... i think it's been written somewhere that 80% of the problems with DIY builds are related to off-board connections ( pots, switches, jacks, etc .. )