Copper Clad Thickness: FR-4 at 0.03 for PCBs?

Started by Strange, November 22, 2011, 01:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strange

I purchased a few sheets of 1 oz. FR-4 copper clad board and I did not realize until it arrived that it is only 0.03 inches thick. It feels pretty thin and I can bend it somewhat easily with a little finger pressure.

Can I safely etch these boards for stompboxes or should I stick to 0.06 and up? I guess my concern is the strength of the material in general and the potential for it to warp over time.

Thanks

John Lyons

F4-4 is very robust, it will be fine. There is little to no pressure involved inside a pedal
unless you board mount jacks etc. Just remember the .060 next time.  :icon_wink:
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Strange

Excellent. Thanks for that.

I will be sure to get the 0.06 from this point out.

defaced

You sure it's 0.03 mm?  That'd be 0.001 in, which is about as thick as a sheet of paper. 
-Mike

DavenPaget

Quote from: defaced on November 22, 2011, 04:15:33 PM
You sure it's 0.03 mm?  That'd be 0.001 in, which is about as thick as a sheet of paper. 
Even metal would break easily !
i think he meant 0.8mm , because that's what i found on element14 . (35um , 0.8mm , 1.5mm , 1.6mm )
Hiatus

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

defaced

Quote from: DavenPaget on November 22, 2011, 04:27:04 PM
Quote from: defaced on November 22, 2011, 04:15:33 PM
Even metal would break easily !
i think he meant 0.8mm , because that's what i found on element14 . (35um , 0.8mm , 1.5mm , 1.6mm )
Hence the reason why I asked.  Units are pesky - and important - little buggers. 
-Mike

Strange

My mistake - that should be 0.03 inches not mm.

bean

It isn't so great for large boards, but anything under 2x2" should be fine. I have a bunch of that stuff, too.

Strange

This was the only product I could find for a finished black laminate. I usually paint the board black to match the bulk of my enclosures but I figured I could eliminate one more step in the process.

Does anyone have a source for coloured (preferably black) laminate in the 0.06 or better range?

Strange

For posteritiy's sake, I etched several boards this evening and they turned out just fine. I have no issues with the 0.03 - it seems perfectly rigid in pedal PCB sizes.

DavenPaget

Quote from: Strange on November 23, 2011, 11:42:28 PM
For posteritiy's sake, I etched several boards this evening and they turned out just fine. I have no issues with the 0.03 - it seems perfectly rigid in pedal PCB sizes.

That's <insert your forum name> .
Hiatus

Strange

Quote from: DavenPaget on November 23, 2011, 11:54:15 PM

How so?

DavenPaget

Quote from: Strange on November 23, 2011, 11:56:22 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on November 23, 2011, 11:54:15 PM

How so?
I thought it would be too thin .
Hiatus