Small clone new dc jack...HELP!!!

Started by meowadishi, November 25, 2011, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meowadishi

Hello.

To make a long story short.  I decided to change out the dc jack on my Small Clone.  Well it seems the the old one was grounded to the case.  The new one is made of all plastic.  I am not sure how to ground it now.

Please help.

Thanks.

Keppy

First: I hear some of the Small Clones are positive-ground. Make sure you know if yours is one of these.

Second: Most pedals use a stereo jack in the input to ground the power jack. Run the ground wire from the appropriate lug of your power jack to the RING lug on the stereo jack. When a mono cable is inserted, the portion of the jack intended to connect to the ring of a stereo cable will instead connect to the sleeve of the mono cable, which is connected to the portion of the jack that is grounded to the enclosure.

Alternatively, you could just solder a wire from the power jack to the back of a pot. The problem there comes when you run on batteries. The grounding scheme above is meant to disconnect the power to the circuit when the input cable is removed. Without such a scheme, the battery will drain continuously.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

meowadishi

Well considering I was running it off a daisy chain with my other pedals that are negative ground and it worked...That would mean its negative ground then...right?

Keppy

Yup. So use the center (neg) lug then. Nice & easy!
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

zombiwoof

If that pedal has the 1/8" AC jack, there are cheap ($3.00) short adapter cords that allow you to use a regular barrel-jack plug (Boss-style) power supply with those pedals.   I have a number of them for my old DOD, Rat, and similar pedals with 1/8" jacks.  Very simple, and you don't have to modify the pedal at all.

Al

meowadishi

Thanks guys.  I have an adaptor...I am just picky.  So I swapped it out.