Need some help from the TUBE gurus!!

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, November 27, 2011, 03:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

I have a lead on a newly discovered stash of tubes but sadly, I am not tube literate and could use some help on whether or not these would be helpful for a build/design. Here is a list of the part numbers found:
6GH8A
5U4GB
6DQ6B-6GW6
6AX4GTB
6LQ6-6JE6C
6BK4C/6EL4A
5U4GB

Any help is appreciated   ;D

EDIT: After some further research, it looks like most of these were for TV application however, I still wonder if there is any potential   ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

CynicalMan

5U4GBs are rectifier tubes that are commonly used in guitar amps. Modern EHXs or JJs go for around $10-15.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: CynicalMan on November 27, 2011, 03:37:59 PM
5U4GBs are rectifier tubes that are commonly used in guitar amps. Modern EHXs or JJs go for around $10-15.

The 5U4GBs in this lot are OEM Sylvania and GE tubes.   :o

There are A LOT more other tubes. This is just a short list of the lot  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

DavenPaget

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 27, 2011, 03:46:16 PM
Quote from: CynicalMan on November 27, 2011, 03:37:59 PM

The 5U4GBs in this lot are OEM Sylvania and GE tubes.   :o

There are A LOT more other tubes. This is just a short list of the lot  ;D
If they are sylvania and GE , i believe you've got a NOS tube  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: DavenPaget on November 27, 2011, 04:21:55 PM

Yep! Sorry, got my terms messed up!  :icon_redface:

Trying to get a full list of part numbers to see if there are any hidden gems.  ;)

AdamM

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/

you should be able to find most types listed there - and then that should give you an idea of what use they might be to you...

DavenPaget

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 27, 2011, 04:28:38 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on November 27, 2011, 04:21:55 PM

Yep! Sorry, got my terms messed up!  :icon_redface:

Trying to get a full list of part numbers to see if there are any hidden gems.  ;)
No the terms are alright , it's just that it's NOS ( new-old-stock ) tube , that's what i believe because i don't see sylvania and GE 5U4GB commonly like the modern EHX's or JJ's .
Hiatus

R.G.

6GH8A: alternate/sub with different pinout for Dynaco stereo tube amps
6DQ6B-6GW6 : valued by some ham radio operators
6LQ6-6JE6C : valued by some ham radio operators

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

amptramp

The 6GH8A is a triode-pentode similar to the 6U8 with identical pinout but higher gain specs.

The 5U4GB is a popular rectifier for many tube amplifiers.

The 6DQ6B and 6LQ6 are both beam power tubes used as horizontal output tubes in televisions and they are useful as power amplifier tubes for audio work.  One thing for sure - you will probably never exceed the anode voltage rating although the screen maximum voltage is quite low.  They take a fairly low plate-to-plate impedance in an audio transformer.  I have used 6BQ6GT's which were the smaller precursor to the 6DQ6B as output tubes before and the recommended impedance is 4000 ohms plate-to-plate.

The 6AX4GTB is a damper diode with a high voltage rating and reasonably high current rating.  Some audiophile amplifiers use these as they are said to add the least noise to the B+ supply, but they are single diodes - you need two for a fullwave rectified supply.

The 6BK4C triode is used as a shunt regulator for CRT high voltage supplies.  It can take 27,000 volts on the plate and has a µ (amplification factor) of 2000.  But it can only take a tiny anode current of 1.6 mA maximum.

DavenPaget

Quote from: amptramp on November 27, 2011, 06:15:09 PM
The 6GH8A is a triode-pentode similar to the 6U8 with identical pinout but higher gain specs.

The 5U4GB is a popular rectifier for many tube amplifiers.

The 6DQ6B and 6LQ6 are both beam power tubes used as horizontal output tubes in televisions and they are useful as power amplifier tubes for audio work.  One thing for sure - you will probably never exceed the anode voltage rating although the screen maximum voltage is quite low.  They take a fairly low plate-to-plate impedance in an audio transformer.  I have used 6BQ6GT's which were the smaller precursor to the 6DQ6B as output tubes before and the recommended impedance is 4000 ohms plate-to-plate.

The 6AX4GTB is a damper diode with a high voltage rating and reasonably high current rating.  Some audiophile amplifiers use these as they are said to add the least noise to the B+ supply, but they are single diodes - you need two for a fullwave rectified supply.

The 6BK4C triode is used as a shunt regulator for CRT high voltage supplies.  It can take 27,000 volts on the plate and has a µ (amplification factor) of 2000.  But it can only take a tiny anode current of 1.6 mA maximum.
That triode when used at 27,000V ( THAT'S MAD ! ) at full power has 43.2W MAX , not bad at all , probably a collector's item .
Hiatus

amptramp

Quote from: DavenPaget on November 27, 2011, 06:26:49 PM
That triode when used at 27,000V ( THAT'S MAD ! ) at full power has 43.2W MAX , not bad at all , probably a collector's item .

Think of the boost pedal you could make with a µ of 2000.  Guitar input to 200 volts in one stage.  You would have to have a lead box for shielding - not electrical, but X-rays!  The nominal voltage of 25,000 is about half of what a standard X-ray tube operates at.  Some regulator tubes were shielded with lead and weighed several pounds.  The 25,000 volt load resistor and coupling capacitor would also be quite interesting.  They are not really collector's items - there were millions made and our local surplus store has a huge array of tubes rescued from TV repair shops where each tube, regardless of type, is $2.  I am sure I saw some in there.

DavenPaget

Quote from: amptramp on November 27, 2011, 07:39:27 PM
Quote from: DavenPaget on November 27, 2011, 06:26:49 PM

Think of the boost pedal you could make with a µ of 2000.  Guitar input to 200 volts in one stage.  You would have to have a lead box for shielding - not electrical, but X-rays!  The nominal voltage of 25,000 is about half of what a standard X-ray tube operates at.  Some regulator tubes were shielded with lead and weighed several pounds.  The 25,000 volt load resistor and coupling capacitor would also be quite interesting.  They are not really collector's items - there were millions made and our local surplus store has a huge array of tubes rescued from TV repair shops where each tube, regardless of type, is $2.  I am sure I saw some in there.
But it might eventually turn into a collector's item if there's something special in that tube  :icon_twisted:
Hiatus

jcgss77

With what you have there, you can make some interesting tube amps.  1 tube amps, all tube amps, different distortion/boosters utilizing pentodes...the list goes on!  If you want to get rid of some of them,let me know, I just designed an amp built around a 15BD11, which contains 2 triodes and a pentode.  I will also help you work on a design if you like!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: jcgss77 on November 28, 2011, 05:51:27 PM
With what you have there, you can make some interesting tube amps.  1 tube amps, all tube amps, different distortion/boosters utilizing pentodes...the list goes on!  If you want to get rid of some of them,let me know, I just designed an amp built around a 15BD11, which contains 2 triodes and a pentode.  I will also help you work on a design if you like!

I appreciate the offer Shaun  ;D

I haven't gotten a chance to see the full inventory. Probably won't get to that until next week  :icon_frown:

I will post my findings!