New at runoffgroove.com: Ginger

Started by B Tremblay, November 27, 2011, 08:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chi_boy

I don't see the 6k8 from Gain to GND.  Am I missing it?
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

frequencycentral

Quote from: chi_boy on December 01, 2011, 09:02:09 PM

Good catch, it's missing. I'll add it later. Anything else?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

B Tremblay

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 02, 2011, 02:25:44 AM

I checked it over and didn't find anything else.  Very nice quick work!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

DavenPaget

Tremblay , where's the listing on ROG for the UBE Screamer ?  :icon_cry:
Hiatus

B Tremblay

Quote from: DavenPaget on December 02, 2011, 08:49:08 AM
Tremblay , where's the listing on ROG for the UBE Screamer ?  :icon_cry:

http://runoffgroove.com/ubescreamer.html

It was never properly linked or released, despite some further revisions following the contest.  Thanks for reminding us!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

DavenPaget

Thanks !  ;D
I always loved the UBE screamer but i would lose the link all the time ... it doesn't even show up on google even ...
Hiatus

frequencycentral

Quote from: B Tremblay on December 02, 2011, 08:25:40 AM
Quote from: frequencycentral on December 02, 2011, 02:25:44 AM
I don't see the 6k8 from Gain to GND.  Am I missing it?

I checked it over and didn't find anything else.  Very nice quick work!

Thanks! 6.8k now added (R20 on my layout), some stuff moved about to accomodate it. Should be all good now.

whitedk57

What's the chance that you could add a true bypass (maybe a 3P2T) section on that layout. I'm new to this board, but I have done similar projects in the past.

azrael

chi_boy

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

FisTheGoon

:o nice sound you got there.love it.will try to make 1.   ;D

whitedk57

I thought I would copy the OP's design and add a true-bypass switch to it. I got the design for the bypass switch from http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_ig_dcjack.gif?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a.

I wonder if you guys can look this over and let me know if I have made a mistake or not...

WGTP

Wondering about the LED's.  Many Jfet designs, for example the amp sims, use the Jfets for distortion.  In this design, it appears that the LED/Diode distortion is preferred over the Jfet distortion?  I thought the point of using Jfets was that they had "better" clipping characteristics than clipping diodes??? 

Should this be seen as a way to add additional clipping stages to Jfet/Mosfet designs?  What's Up?  ;)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

frequencycentral

My layout if now verified, a friend of mine just built it.

Colonel Angus

Just finalized my perfboard version, waiting on my drill press to come and this sucker will be done! Sounds great, I tested it on an SVT with Jazz Bass and the tone is super creamy. I can definitely see what the benefit of using the LEDs is, the clipping is really soft sounding but with a lot of growl. I love it!

This is my first legit build, I did a real simple GE fuzz circuit to get my feet wet which turned out pretty cool, but this thing is badass! Finished right on time too, we are just about to start bass overdubs for the new Hiders record and this will be just the thing for some of those tracks, i'm sure. I'm definitely hooked and looking forward to my next build, maybe a Kay Fuzz-Clone or trem-something.

Does anyone think it would be worth the time to socket the caps on the tonestack to tweak out values/materials?

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

Benjamin AM

Hello, I'm new to this forum as well as new to mu-amps. I was curious how to increase the gain of this circuit to get more distortion from my pedal. It would be nice to have about twice the amount of gain.
Thanks
-Benjamin 

Colonel Angus

I don't know if this is necessarily a good idea, but I flipped the last tranny - the 2n5088 - upside down and it about doubled the gain. Anyways, that's my noob advice...
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

cultrvultr

I'm in the middle of putting this pedal together. I made a rookie mistake and put the schottky diodes in the same direction instead of asymmetrical.  I've tried removing one of them to flip it, but it's soldered in there really well. Will the pedal still work with this diode as-is?

I'm not really clear on what that pair of diodes is doing in this circuit. Is it clipping in addition to the red LEDs? If so, the circuit should still work, but with less clipping, right?

kurtlives

Quote from: cultrvultr on March 25, 2012, 04:06:49 AM
I'm in the middle of putting this pedal together. I made a rookie mistake and put the schottky diodes in the same direction instead of asymmetrical.  I've tried removing one of them to flip it, but it's soldered in there really well. Will the pedal still work with this diode as-is?

I'm not really clear on what that pair of diodes is doing in this circuit. Is it clipping in addition to the red LEDs? If so, the circuit should still work, but with less clipping, right?
Correct
Removing a pair will create less clipping.

The LEDs on the front I wouldn't think would be clipping your signal much though.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

bluebunny

FYI, according to ROG:

"each stage has a pair of clipping diodes at the gate to avoid hard clipping in the JFET stages"
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...