Huminator not huminating

Started by chromesphere, November 28, 2011, 06:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Im a bit sketchy on the details, havent had time to properly test it, but im pretty sure the full wave rectifier gives me 8.60v and the 1 diode gives me 8.75v.  Not sure how that works, have to test it some more.  But, i'm sure there was an improvement with full wave over single diode.  Again ill have to test it.  Will have time tomorrow night.
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

DavenPaget

Quote from: chromesphere on December 01, 2011, 07:35:13 AM
Im a bit sketchy on the details, havent had time to properly test it, but im pretty sure the full wave rectifier gives me 8.60v and the 1 diode gives me 8.75v.  Not sure how that works, have to test it some more.  But, i'm sure there was an improvement with full wave over single diode.  Again ill have to test it.  Will have time tomorrow night.
Paul
How about dual diodes ? It's nice to try multiple combinations , oh yes , i read elsewhere a good option .

and a 7809 follower .
Remember your choke ? it can be used in this schem , no voltage loss in this case  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

chromesphere

I pretty much tried this configuration, except i put the 2 capicators next to each other (seperate to ground, after the inductor).  would that make much difference?  I'm sure the best option is still full wave rectified, ill compare full wave to your diagram setup exactly.
Paul

DavenPaget

Quote from: chromesphere on December 01, 2011, 05:17:14 PM
I pretty much tried this configuration, except i put the 2 capicators next to each other (seperate to ground, after the inductor).  would that make much difference?  I'm sure the best option is still full wave rectified, ill compare full wave to your diagram setup exactly.
Paul
Oh sure , but i prefer 1 capacitor before and after a inductor .
Hiatus

chromesphere

Sorry to rez. 

I recently posted my final schematic in a diy project format on another website.  Someone asked if the polarity of my d2 in this schematic was around the right way.  I checked the a schematic of a half wave recitifier and its not hte same as mine.  Which way should i use?  Does it make any difference? (my noise filter still filters noise!)

Half-Wave Rectifier:
http://services.eng.uts.edu.au/~venkat/pe_html/ch02s2/mathsim/mcadhwr2.htm

Mine:
http://www.chromesphere.com/x/pedal/Power_Pellet_Schematic.pdf

Thanks for any help as always!
Paul

edvard

Yeah, that's weird.
I simulated both ways and the waveform (or lack of) comes out the same, dunno what's going on.
I would assume that the first diode would shunt most of the positive voltage to ground, but it doesn't...

What's really weird is that if you put D1 after D2, then the voltage drops to 4.5V  :icon_eek:

I'm not enough of an electronics engineer to know what's going on, but I still say that's weird...
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

chromesphere

I think im going to have to send this one back to the bread board for more testing.  I actually think (have to check) my d1 is before d2 on the prototype!

Thanks for the input Edvard.
Paul

DavenPaget

Meh , i am inclined to believe because DC is in the equation .
Hiatus

slacker

D2 is the wrong way round on the schematic, the cathode should be pointing to +9v. I'm guessing this must just be a mistake on the schematic, because if you had actually built it like this it won't work, the diode will drop the voltage to about 0.7 volts before D1 and then D1 will drop about the same so you'd get nothing out.
If you're using this to smooth a DC wallwart, then you don't need D2, because D1 already protects the circuit if you connect the power the wrong way round. Or you don't need D1, they both do the same job.

edvard

I think he went with both diodes because that's the way it's specified in a classic half-wave rectifier, even if only one is needed.

I simulated the circuit in LTSpice and the voltage only dropped when D1 was pointing to ground and placed after D2, and even then it only dropped to 4.5V o_O
I know simulators aren't perfect, and I'm not at my breadboard to work it out real-world style, but I kinda wonder what's going on there...

slacker

Quote from: edvard on December 20, 2011, 04:11:00 PM
I think he went with both diodes because that's the way it's specified in a classic half-wave rectifier, even if only one is needed.

Ah fair enough, I hadn't read the whole thread I just looked at the schematic.

I simulated the circuit in LTSpice and the voltage only dropped when D1 was pointing to ground and placed after D2, and even then it only dropped to 4.5V o_O

I think the simulator is lying, I just tried it and like you said it appears to work, I think this is because the battery or voltage source in the simulator is perfect and can put out infinite current so the diode doesn't cause a voltage drop. If you add a very small series resistance either in the battery properties or by adding a resistor between the battery and the diodes then it behaves like it would in the real world.

chromesphere

Thanks Slacker / Edvard for you responses & help.

You'd be correct Slacker.  Checked my physical build, that diode is around the wrong way!  I've also noticed, its in the wrong position as well.   :icon_redface:

I've corrected the schematic to show the diodes positioned correctly.

Edvard is correct also.  I found a substantial improvement with noise filter using both those diodes in a half-wave rectifier sort of fashion.

EDIT: Here is the vero i made for 'the other' forum incase anyone wants to build it. Should all be hunky dory now:

Thanks for your help guys!
Paul

edvard

Quote from: slacker on December 20, 2011, 04:35:06 PM
I think the simulator is lying, I just tried it and like you said it appears to work, I think this is because the battery or voltage source in the simulator is perfect and can put out infinite current so the diode doesn't cause a voltage drop. If you add a very small series resistance either in the battery properties or by adding a resistor between the battery and the diodes then it behaves like it would in the real world.

Aha!! I knew something was amiss, thanks for that.

Quote from: chromesphere on December 20, 2011, 05:12:43 PM
Paul

No problem Paul, always glad to help.  :icon_mrgreen:

Roger Martin

Quote from: chromesphere on December 20, 2011, 05:12:43 PM
Thanks Slacker / Edvard for you responses & help.

You'd be correct Slacker.  Checked my physical build, that diode is around the wrong way!  I've also noticed, its in the wrong position as well.   :icon_redface:

I've corrected the schematic to show the diodes positioned correctly.

Edvard is correct also.  I found a substantial improvement with noise filter using both those diodes in a half-wave rectifier sort of fashion.

EDIT: Here is the vero i made for 'the other' forum incase anyone wants to build it. Should all be hunky dory now:

Paul

Hello Paul,
How is this huminator doing, satisfying ?
I think i want to add this inside the noise reduction pedal, what do you think?
Thank you for the sharing.

chromesphere

Hi Roger,

I use it all the time!  Its a permanent fixture to the front of my power chain.  Someone complained that the filter dropped the voltage to unusable levels when used with more then 2-3 pedals, but this might be the cause of using a 100 ohm resistor instead of the inductor.  I dont have the brains to give you the reason why, but if you plan to build it, should probably use an inductor to me sure.  my filter one drops 0.5v with 5 high current draining pedals (phaser, tremolo, fsh, etc).

Paul

Roger Martin

Quote from: chromesphere on May 07, 2013, 06:41:06 AM
Hi Roger,

I use it all the time!  Its a permanent fixture to the front of my power chain.  Someone complained that the filter dropped the voltage to unusable levels when used with more then 2-3 pedals, but this might be the cause of using a 100 ohm resistor instead of the inductor.  I dont have the brains to give you the reason why, but if you plan to build it, should probably use an inductor to me sure.  my filter one drops 0.5v with 5 high current draining pedals (phaser, tremolo, fsh, etc).

Paul

Thank you for the quick reply, Paul.
Your information gives me another view.
Maybe that someone uses such a small ampere for the power supply like 300 mAmp perhaps?
That tiny 300 mAmp, of course, will suffer badly and be burdened to support 5 pedals plus huminator altogether for instance.
Maybe he needs a bigger Ampere like 3 Amp.

chromesphere

Definitely!
Someone suggested that the 100ohm resistor was causing the voltage drop, but i cant get my head around that.  So i assume the inductor wasnt causing a servere voltage drop.  I have no idea about either of these things though!  My PSU only drops 0.1v without the filter, and 0.5v with the filter, so it is having an effect on my PSU to some degree as well (0.5v is negligible imo).
Paul

predok13

Is this inductor should be 0.22 milliHenry (mH) or microHenry (µH)?