Troubleshooting a center-negative power supply mistake

Started by fingersoccer, November 30, 2011, 09:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fingersoccer

I finished building the AMZ Power Supply board http://www.muzique.com/tech/power2.htm, but I failed to wire the DC jack up correctly. The jack needed to be wired for a center positive wall wart, but I wired it center negative. I only realized this after trying to power it up.

I was hoping it did no permanent damage, but I think it may have, as I'm getting almost no voltage reading across it after wiring it correctly. If I have done damage, what parts do you think I would need to replace? I figure at the very least all the resistors and non-polarized caps should be fine, but I'm not sure about the ICs, diodes, and such as that. Any ideas where to start?

PRR

The plan shows a series diode and fuse. Backward input should do nothing. Major wiring error should blow the fuse.

What comes out of your wall-wart?

Pull the fuse. What do you measure at the power jack? Voltage and polarity?
  • SUPPORTER

fingersoccer

The schematic doesn't quite match the instructions I was sent; a jumper wire is installed in place of D1 and there's no fuse.

I'm getting a reading of about 15V DC on the wall wart.

PRR

How long was it powered reverse?

What do you measure at the power jack? Voltage and polarity?

• SUPPORTER

fingersoccer

It was powered reverse for maybe a minute or so.

I get the same reading at the DC jack that I do with the wall wart. With the black multimeter lead to the sleeve and the red lead to the tip, I get about 15V DC +.

PRR

You should have these voltages:

Which ones are not right?
  • SUPPORTER

fingersoccer

Well I got off work and sat down at the table with the multimeter to test the voltages, but it's looking like everything is shaping up. The voltages are correct in all the places you suggested.

I resoldered the DC jack last night and I'm thinking that the wires may not have been connected well to begin with. Dumb mistake, I know. Thanks very much for your help all the same. I really appreciate it.