4017 sequencer clock and/or trigger

Started by artifus, December 02, 2011, 10:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artifus

this came about from bread boarding what i happened to have around and could no doubt be greatly improved - all comments and suggestions gratefully received.

'scuse the scribble. this clocks the simplest of 4017 sequencers with mini jack out from the led driven ldr to connect to filter/wah, tremolo, delay, etc. cv and gate outs to follow.  the oscillator was added for testing and fun.

the idea was to be able to drive the 4017 from either an internal clock and/or an external audio source from, for example, a drum machine, mp3 player, daw, piezo transducer, etc., for more interesting synchronised rhythms and patterns. with a simple kick, snare, hat pattern the input pot can be swept through detection of just kick, through kick and snare to kick snare and hat.

works well enough. a video would probably make more sense. i'll see what i can do. anyone know of a uk source of tap tempo chips?

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

artifus

QuoteAny luck with this? Great idea.

yup. works well enough for me. quite fun with a piezo attached to kick drum for play-along-a-bass-line with the on board oscillator when at the kit and have used it with daw output when reamping audio thru fx.

plenty of room for improvement but i was in a hurry and would recommend breadboarding to tweak rc values depending on what you intend the trigger to be - this flakes out at high bpm if you don't have the ability to adjust the adsr of the trigger signal to very short.

JonasL

Hi
I don't know if i'm in the right topic with my question, but anyway: i want to make a simple sequencer, but i can't find some good information about the "clock input". What does that exactly, can you just send sound trough that and then the sequencer will repeat it? I've just made a drone synth, with a 40106 chip and know i'm wondering if i could add a sequencer to it somehow.

artifus

the clock input is expecting logic level so if running at 9 volts approaching +9 for 1 and towards ground for 0. your 40106 drone synth is a clock running fast enough to produce a tone. slow it down with more resistance and/or a bigger cap to a click. or use a 555. google 4017 datasheet. you could distort an audio input to clock trigger levels too.

mwynwood

I don't know if this is the thing that I'm after... but...
Will this convert an audio click to something delay pedal or looper will take as a "tap tempo" input?

For example:
Audio click track from iPod -> {DEVICE} -> Tap input on Boss RC-2

Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com

artifus

i'm not sure what your tap tempo input is expecting, i assume a momentary footswtich - but normally open or closed and connecting or disconnecting what? the scheme at the top was an attempt to take an audio input and generate a logic pulse to trigger a 4017. you may just need a simple transistor switch and maybe a relay.

i did find a dodgy vid i made of its maiden voyage - i intended to make another showing an audio input from a drum machine or something but have still yet to box it up and make it look pretty - six months later! it does briefly show a piezo triggering it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w04MHjm8ISQ