|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 05:41:39 AM
971465 Posts in 103579 Topics by 33030 Members
Latest Member: jzeusrivera
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  No Sound... Not in Bypass and not at all 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Sound... Not in Bypass and not at all  (Read 6644 times)
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

No Sound... Not in Bypass and not at all
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:27:59 PM »

Hey Everybody,

I finished building the Boost pedal last night and there was no sound except of some irritating buzzy noises.
I've checked my wiring, and I think the wiring on the stereo jack as all wrong.. so I've done it all over again and then checked the two tips (of the input and output) with my multimeter and it beeps, witch shows their connected correctly. (I think...   Huh)

Now there's no buzzy sound except when I move the circuit around, but no guitar sound at all. Sad

I'm not sure what to do now..

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ofek Deitch Smiley
Tomcat706

Re: No Sound... Not in Bypass and not at all
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »

Hey,
I'm kinda new to this too, buy ill see if my fails can help.
Check polarities of the electro caps, I believe stripe side is negative.
Also check the transistor, some base,emitter, collector pinouts can vary, google the data sheet of the model you have which should be written on the flat side for the mfg pinout.
On the bazz fuss I just built, when I reversed the led some strange stuff happened and when the transistor was backwards I just got nasty fuzz.
Hope this helped and Merry Christmas!
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »

Is this what you did? Plug in 2 guitar cables - one to the input, the other to the output. Toggle the switch between bypassed and switched in while testing the tips of the cable for continuity with your meter. It should show continuity in one of the pedal settings. If not, yes, your switch or jacks are mis-wired.

Aron
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »

Thanks Aron!
I'll re-check my wiring..  icon_surprised
Plug in 2 guitar cables - one to the input, the other to the output. Toggle the switch between bypassed and switched in while testing the tips of the cable for continuity with your meter
- That's exactly what I did, but there's no sound.. Sad

It should show continuity in one of the pedal settings.
What does it mean??

Thanks again!
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »

I have no idea how to fix this problem.. Sad
I have no sound even in bypass

I've uploaded some images of my board and jacks...

Here's the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71945567@N02/6499908839/in/photostream/
If you have any ideas, please comment, and tell me!

Thanks Smiley

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:33:01 AM by Ofek Deitch » Logged
.Mike

Mike - Savannah, Georgia USA

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »

Looks like at a minimum, there is a problem with how you have your jack wired up.

If your notes on this image are accurate, you have the Tip and Sleeve connected to the switch, and the Ring connected to Ground.

When you insert a mono TS plug into a stereo TRS jack, the barrel of the connector connects the Ring to the Sleeve. In your case, it connects the signal to ground, and you get no sound.

The tip should connect to the switch. The Ring should connect to the battery clip/DC jack. The sleeve should connect to the board ground.

Have a look here: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

Smiley

Mike

If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. Wink

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »

Ohhh.... The sleeve isn't connected to the input on the switch... It's connected to the Ground... Smiley
So did I connect the Stereo (Input) Jack correctly?

I'll fix the image... Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:45:16 PM by Ofek Deitch » Logged
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »

Just finished fixing the images..

Input: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71945567@N02/6500907379/in/photostream
Output: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71945567@N02/6500921549/in/photostream/
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »

Any suggestions??  Huh
Please help me!
markeebee

Mark B, UK

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:13:25 AM »

Looking at your picture entitled "3pdt switch", the connections to the nine pins should be:

To PCB          |         +ve         |         From PCB

From Input      |         LED         |          To output

Link                |       Unused    |                  Link

It looks like you're ok, but just check that the input and output jacks go to the centre lug of the outer columns.

Next, take a short length of wire and hold it on the switch lugs that connect to the tips of your jacks. Strum guitar, toggle the switch a couple of times. If you get signal coming through it means your jacks and guitar cables are fine, but your switch is broken or wrongly wired.

Let us know how you get on!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:57:57 AM by markeebee » Logged
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:13 AM »

Thanks Mark!
The switch is connected as shown here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/images/3PDTwiring.jpg
I've connected with a short wire the tips together and still I get no sound.. Sad
Is it possible that one of the cable jacks are broken?

Thanks again Smiley
markeebee

Mark B, UK

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »

Have you connected each lead between your guitar and amp to check that the leads are ok?
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »

What do you mean by leads? I'm kind of a beginner.. I'm not sure...  Undecided
markeebee

Mark B, UK

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »

Sorry. Lead = cable. I know it's an obvious thing, but have you plugged each cable straight into your guitar and amp?

If the leads/cables are ok, I think the next step is to check the continuity of your solder joints on the jacks and switch. Have you got a meter? It's not absolutely necessary but it'll make these checks a lot easier.

Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »

Mark, both of my PL cables work just fine.. and I've checked with my meter the connections of the tips (where the tip of the cable actually touches it) and between the solder joints of the jack to the switch, and from the switch to the other jack, and form jack to jack, and in all these three my meter beeped (it shows there is continuity..)

I want to mention although, that I wasn't sure which solder joint is which, so I touched with one tip of the meter the inside of the jack (the sleeve), and with the other I tried to find out which solder joint is the one connected to it, and then when it beeped I knew it should be connected to Ground.
I've done the same process with the Tip and Ring...

Is that okay?? (If not, then I guess I did mis-wired the jacks..  Grin)
markeebee

Mark B, UK

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »

Ah - just read the posts above, I see you do have a meter   icon_lol

Also, I just noticed the picture of your output jack. It's a switched jack - when you plug your cable in, the tip of the cable pushes 'bent' part of the jack contact away from the 'straight' part. Take a look and you'll see that the tip of the cable only touches the bent part. You need to make sure that you have soldered your wire to the lug that is connected to this. Sorry again if this is obvious and you've already checked it.

Hope that makes some sense. I can't get to my PC, otherwise I'd add some notes to your picture to make things more clear.
Ofek Deitch

OFEK DEITCH of Israel

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »

Well thanks again Mark Smiley , but I've re-checked everything already a hundred times and I still have no clue what's wrong with it..
Also, the 'straight' and the 'bent' part are connected, and I've checked it with my meter by touching the bent part with one tip and then touching one of the two connection points with the other, and in both of them the meter beeped, so I assume it does not matter where I connect my cables between those two... (So I can switch and nothing will change..)

Do you have any more suggestions? Could something be broken?

Thanks again for everything!
Ofek Deitch Smiley
.Mike

Mike - Savannah, Georgia USA

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 12:07:29 AM »

All this troubleshooting, and we don't even know if it's getting power.

Please take some voltages (instructions here), and see how they compare to these:

Smiley

Mike

If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. Wink

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.
arma61

Armando C.

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »

Also, the 'straight' and the 'bent' part are connected, and I've checked it with my meter by touching the bent part with one tip and then touching one of the two connection points with the other, and in both of them the meter beeped, so I assume it does not matter where I connect my cables between those two... (So I can switch and nothing will change..)

yes, they do make contact when the plug is out, as soon as you plug in the plug the "straight" short metal is disconnected from the "bent" one, so, of the two connection ponts, now only one is making contact with the "bent" one. Put a new, unconnected plug into she jack and them meter the contacts... that's the easy way to check which is which.

best of luck.... you'll get it woking, I know I already said this but.... no one f...ing ckt can stay in a "non-working" status for long in this forum!!!!   Wink Cheesy Grin

Ciao

Armando

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen
markeebee

Mark B, UK

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 07:04:34 AM »

Yeah, like Armando says, and I explained badly....

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: