Star Grounding a valvecaster build help

Started by smitty, December 15, 2011, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering your opinions about my Star Grounding configuration in terms of weather or not
you think this may work or not....

Would it be plausible to attach all ground wires to a washer to form the Star,  all ground wires are attached to just the washer
not to each other.   Then bolt the washer to the chassis.   

OR

Do the ground wires need to be soldered directly to each other to form the Star

thanks very much for all of your help in this matter,

Smitty

iccaros

star ground would work fine.. make the washer the kind with teeth so it bites into the metal case and your even better.

chi_boy

I don't know how literally you mean a washer, but a fastener type washer could be a little challenging to solder to, depending on material and size.  You could give yourself a break and use the ring style crimp-on electrical connector like this:

They take solder easily.

But why not just star at the output jack ground connection?  Wouldn't that be the same?
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

PRR

Something as small and low-current as a stompbox, simple around-the-bushes grounding _usually_ works fine.

The next step after hay-wire grounding is to sort your grounds. Signal grounds follow signal path. Any HI-power non-signal paths (especially LEDs) should return straight to the power source, NOT be flowing through signal grounds.

Leave "Star" to HIGH-power amplifiers, factory instrumentation, and obsessed hi-fi builders.

• SUPPORTER

petemoore

For me it took a while, kind of like deciding on how to make gutters flow 'right' so the basement doesn't leak, thinking about what waste currents go where...how to channel them so the excess doesn't go to the foundation.
  Consider 'ground' [or reference voltage] to be movable is one way to think of it, if large currents go through a wire of X length, there'll be a V difference from one end to the other, pulses [AC] tend to be heard [get into the audio amplification signal path] when 'pure DC' is the required goal. A perfect DC reference voltage is only as close as you can get to it, there is no constant or perfect DC reference voltage because when current flows, voltage changes, the AC-in-the-DC is an effect that can only be minimized to x degree.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.