Fuzz recomendation

Started by markbee, December 18, 2011, 04:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markbee

I'm about to be building some kind of fuzz face in a short time but I havent decided yet which one I'll build. The sound I'm going for is something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EOPIi4Q3lM there is lots of delay and revers reverb but I think its properly audible. Im dont know if I shel build fuzz factory or wooly mammoth clone or even something totaly different. So which fuzz/distortion pedal will get me as close as possible what do you think? Thank you for your answer. :)

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box

petemoore

Where's the breadboard ?
  FF on Perfbread: 6 pin IC socket secures itself well and offers easy Q swaps for transistors, a resistor [say like the 100k] made 'big' [say 150k] and placed off the board 1/8'' then soldered makes easy add-a-pot-points [or piggyback resistor] for any value of 15ok or less. The input wire can be the second capacitor [set value of soldered-in cap for 'thick' sound, then add series cap value as needed for thinner sound. Pretty easy to make a sturdy perfbread FF that'll do pretty much any FF circuit up real quick but solid, freeing the BB up for say...experimenting on the preboost in case you want more of a Tonebender type Fuzz.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markbee

I have actually seen all the photos of his pedalboard multipe times, from the oldes version to the most recent one. Since his fuzz/distortion effect are homemade as well it gives me no use to see blank silver enclosures. I wanted a suggestion based on a sound of it.

So you suggest something like Tonebender and mess a little with the guts to make it sound more alike? :)

nocentelli

I love that second Horrors' album, and whilst it is difficult to pinpoint the exact dirt pedal used under all that reverse reverb, a tonebender will probably get you close: If you look for the Skreddy Lunar Module schematic, the "deluxe" version has a couple of extra controls that will allow you to really fine-tune the sound, e.g. a "body" control to adjust the amount of bass being sent to Q2, and two gain controls: You can get everything from a low-gain OD-ish sound, to a tight distortion, right up to full-on, woolly, fuzzy filth. I really like it, very versatile.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

LucifersTrip

Quote from: markbee on December 18, 2011, 08:22:05 AM
I have actually seen all the photos of his pedalboard multipe times, from the oldes version to the most recent one. Since his fuzz/distortion effect are homemade as well it gives me no use to see blank silver enclosures. I wanted a suggestion based on a sound of it.

it would be very difficult  to suggest one pedal that might get the sound of a rack of pedals. since you've seen the pics of his boardsover the years, there must be some discussion talking about what pedals he uses. Even if they are his own design, they're most likely variants on common pedals.  I'd definitely try to get that info first and go from there....and of course find out what guitar & amp he uses...and whether there's additional effects added in the studio...

markbee

He uses Fender Jazzmaster japan, I'm not sure which year and Fender Blues Junior / Vox AC30... I've read their forums and all i got were pictures and disscussions abou their hair. :)

I doubt they used effect in the studio becouse live versions sound practicly the same. Thanks guys, I'll check that schematic out.

nocentelli

They do have very good hair...
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

markbee

I agree but i cant say it helps me soundwise :D

Caferacernoc

You see him actually building a fuzz in this video. And then he makes a weird pitch shifting thing:

http://thecreatorsproject.com/creators/joshua-third-the-horrors--2

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Caferacernoc on December 19, 2011, 07:30:18 PM
You see him actually building a fuzz in this video. And then he makes a weird pitch shifting thing:

http://thecreatorsproject.com/creators/joshua-third-the-horrors--2

it's good to see bands today getting creative...here's the schematic he's holding...just a boost/overdrive or one stage of something...

petemoore

Looks like a simple booster with no input capacitor.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.