Driab2 and Mos Rectifier(New verions of Dr Boogey) works great

Started by ubaid88, January 08, 2010, 02:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubaid88

Well i started to work on preamp for Dual Rectifier like distortion. I started with by improving Dr Boogey. These things i discussed with you guy in this forum previously. Now i finally it is over and successful. I never intended to simulate tube sound but i want great sound heavey distortion like Dual Rectifier and now iam successful.
I present 2 design in front of you.

1) Driab2 (Dual Rectifer in box 2)
is the mu-amp version of Dr Boogey without tone stack. I added lpf before volume pot to cut treble. I also added dpdt switch for selecting raw, vintage and modern type of distortion.
Note: 2n5484 fets are required not j201

Now i started to work on active tonestack. And i ripped that from Boss Mt-2 with in/out buffer, a perfect tonestack for Dr boogey. You can get any type of hard rock and metal sound out of that. Its parametric eq totally effect the tone.
Note:  you can use any opamp but ne5532 or TL072 is recommended.
All cap are NON-POLAR including 10uf and 1uf

You can use tonestack with/without any pedal. This is also a good clean preamp.

This combination is perfect hardrock/metal distortion.

2) Mos rectifier
Now my second design which is honestly modded design of Soul Sonic's freya. I just changed the gain stages similar to Dr boogey and we are done. This sounds great but like vintage Marshall hardrock distortion with huge sustain, not mesa. This is not a noisy pedal like usually fets pedal are.

Both Design are verified and self tested on pcb. Soundclips and pictures will be available soon. May be even video.
And finally thank to this forum and all those guys who help me.

Edit: Pictures added + PCBLayouts

Here are da link for pcb layout and part list.
http://www.2shared.com/file/10547222/7a765ae1/Driab2.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/10547229/eda48369/Metal_ToneStack.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/10547230/8d630a8c/mosrect.html

nexion777

Great! How is distant in tone your "mu" version from the normal "trimmed" boogey?

ubaid88

Quote from: nexion777 on January 08, 2010, 03:32:12 PM
Great! How is distant in tone your "mu" version from the normal "trimmed" boogey?

I didn't remember that one at all  ;). But it is much quieter than trimmer version. I will upload clips and you can compare them. The active tonestack is the one that makes real difference.

Ripthorn

It looks like you left out the Teeth and Bottom controls from the Freya.  I found that these two controls were the biggest contributor to the overall noise in the circuit.  The self biasing of the Mosfets made it so that there wasn't noise from bias trimmers like in most jfet pedals.  I have considered going in and taking out the teeth and bottom controls completely from my build to see if I can get it as quiet as my DieFET.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

ubaid88

Quote from: Ripthorn on January 08, 2010, 04:07:39 PM
It looks like you left out the Teeth and Bottom controls from the Freya.  I found that these two controls were the biggest contributor to the overall noise in the circuit.  The self biasing of the Mosfets made it so that there wasn't noise from bias trimmers like in most jfet pedals.  I have considered going in and taking out the teeth and bottom controls completely from my build to see if I can get it as quiet as my DieFET.

yeah,
plus scaled tonestack and bit changes in gain stages like from  Dr boogey. Basically i intended to build mosfet version of Dr boogey. But as i told you it is very sound different from Dr boogey just like vintage marshall.

caspercody

I would love to get a copy of the pcb layouts?

Thanks for all your work!!!

Rob

ubaid88

Quote from: caspercody on January 08, 2010, 04:14:25 PM
I would love to get a copy of the pcb layouts?

Thanks for all your work!!!

Rob
Thanks rob for you appreciation. I have shared pcb layouts. Let us know when have build any of this. :icon_cool:

DUY1337GUITAR

bah bah bah bah!
how do you do this so well?!

Looking forward to sound clips
I've always wanted to make my own effect or mod something which makes make a significant difference (beneficially), but I don't think I can get money until I actually become an adult...

Care to give us some reports about difference from your DB and the original?
Check out my guitar build at http://www.youtube.com/user/DUY1337GUITAR

I might not always be right, but I'm never wrong....

ubaid88

Quote from: DUY1337GUITAR on January 08, 2010, 11:40:42 PM
bah bah bah bah!
how do you do this so well?!

Looking forward to sound clips
I've always wanted to make my own effect or mod something which makes make a significant difference (beneficially), but I don't think I can get money until I actually become an adult...

Care to give us some reports about difference from your DB and the original?

I will upload video or sound clips when I put them in a metal enclosure.

deadastronaut

can't wait to hear these....

ive built the gaussmarkov boogies pcb versions.......

great pedals...but the tone control leaves a bit to be desired...!..

mmmm...looking forward to these. especially the no tone boogie. ...nice work man............

rob.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

WGTP

Have you tried mixing the Jfet and Mosfet stages in one distortion unit?
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

ubaid88

Quote from: WGTP on January 12, 2010, 01:29:21 PM
Have you tried mixing the Jfet and Mosfet stages in one distortion unit?

Worth to experiment.

Quote from: deadastronaut on January 11, 2010, 09:23:44 PM
can't wait to hear these....

ive built the gaussmarkov boogies pcb versions.......

great pedals...but the tone control leaves a bit to be desired...!..

mmmm...looking forward to these. especially the no tone boogie. ...nice work man............

rob.

That why i have added active control. You shape the tone according to your. Active controls do both cutting and boosting.

soggybag

Looks interesting. What type MOSFets are you using? BS170?

ubaid88

Quote from: soggybag on January 12, 2010, 05:32:25 PM
Looks interesting. What type MOSFets are you using? BS170?
2n7000. Bs170 will work too. Just beware that its pinouts are other way around.
Bs170

2n7000

jwyse

ubaid88, thanks for sharing this.  Could you post the schematic, Eagle files, and/or transferrable PCB image for the DRIAB2?

I'm really just interested in the Raw/Vintage/Modern switch.  Hoping I could look at your schematic to see how that works, and mod my Dr Boogey (Gaussmarkov's layout) with something like that.

Thanks!

[edit: I just realized the ready-to-transfer layout is already in the zip file.]

stcook111

I am curious, use the mosrect to feed a LM386 practice amp. Nice work. Will definitely give this a try.

mrelwood

The 2n5484 costs five times that of J201 in Finland. Any replacements I should look for? 2n5458 okay?

Thanks!

Georgedepinedo

I know it has been like 7 years since somebody posted anything here. I built it and it works, but it sounds gated, full blast distortion and the gain control doesn't seem to work.
Can anybody shed some light onto this issue?