|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 04:19:35 PM
969022 Posts in 103375 Topics by 32883 Members
Latest Member: Chrys
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  DIY Stompboxes  |  Building your own stompbox  |  Ludwig Phase II Clone Debugging and Miscellany 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ludwig Phase II Clone Debugging and Miscellany  (Read 25417 times)
R.G.
more

Re: Ludwig Phase II Clone Debugging and Miscellany
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »

The power supply that R.G. have suggested is not available from mouser right now and I'm looking for something similar to do the job.

Will this one works for the project?
I think it will, yes.

R.G.

Every single NASA manned mission starting with the Gemini series has carried a roll of duck tape.
Yes, really. Look it up.
digi2t

Burning stuff, since 2009.

« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2012, 09:07:32 AM »

Something I discovered recently, and I'm using it for my Ring Stinger clone project.

I've found a really nice enclosure, courtesy of a gentleman in the UK (I believe). It's a larger than the recommended Hammond model, so it will adequately handle the Phase II. I took the liberty of taking some pictures, along with the two Phase II boards laying inside, so everyone can get an idea of the scale;

The external dimensions are; 8.74" X 5.75" X 2.17" (222 X 146 X 55 mm).

I found it at Newark, it's made by MULTICOMP . The Newark P/N is 55T2820 ($23.31) for the plain aluminium, 55T2821 ($25.08) for the black, and 55T2822 ($25.08) for grey. The MULTICOMP P/N's are; G124MF (plain), G124MFBK (black), and G124MFLG (grey). The "F" in all the P/N's stands for "Flange". For a non-flanged box, omit the "F".

I don't think you'll find an enclosure this roomy at this price in the Hammond line. Especially considering that this enclosure is also watertight, the cover comes with a rubber o-ring that seals the works.

Although the UK suppliers, Rapid and Farnell, carry the same model without the flanged sides, Newark only has this model with the flanges. So, you could cut them off quite easily with a disc grinder, cut-off saw, etc. Or, use them as I have done here, to give it a bit of an "industrial/rack mount" look. The flanges are already drilled, at 3.5" centers. The handles come from Home Hardware, with... well look at that!, 3.5" centers!  icon_mrgreen

Cheers,
Dino

"No matter how many times I cut it.... it's STILL too short!!

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467
pinkjimiphoton

"it's got YOY" jimi in manchvegas

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »

wow, nice find dino, that looks just about perfect...and some ROOM to mount components...well done!!

i don't care what ohms law is, i ain't no flippin EE!!
digi2t

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »

wow, nice find dino, that looks just about perfect...and some ROOM to mount components...well done!!

Yup, kinda like my old '64 Bel-Air. Tool box on the fender skirt, lunch box on the air cleaner, and me, standing next to the block, feet on the ground either side of the A arms.  icon_mrgreen

pinkjimiphoton

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:42 AM »

dude, you would LOVE my roomate's 68 440 roadrunner...but no room in there to stand!! lol

rips and snorts like a pack of harleys thru a wall of marshalls dimed.

you know, like a skyripper or something. Wink

charmonder

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for all this info, and nice heads up on that box! I love the rails.

successful transactions with forum members: bcalla, digi2t, and gutsofgold
RonaldB

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:11 AM »

I'm having trouble finding a 48v dc adapter for this project.
What's the minimum voltage this circuit needs to work good.
I can find 24v adapters really easy here in the Netherlands.

RonaldB
R.G.
more

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2012, 07:58:15 AM »

It needs about 36-38V minimum to work as per the original. If your question is "Will this work right on 24Vdc?", then the answer is no. If you are really stuck finding a 48Vdc adapter, you can use an adapter that puts out 28-30V *AC* and a full wave bridge rectifier to generate the proper DC voltage on the boards, much like the original did.

R.G.

Every single NASA manned mission starting with the Gemini series has carried a roll of duck tape.
Yes, really. Look it up.
Keppy

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »

It needs about 36-38V minimum to work as per the original. If your question is "Will this work right on 24Vdc?", then the answer is no. If you are really stuck finding a 48Vdc adapter, you can use an adapter that puts out 28-30V *AC* and a full wave bridge rectifier to generate the proper DC voltage on the boards, much like the original did.
In fact, I believe the components are all still in place on the console board to accept AC power without any modifications whatsoever, if it comes from a center-tapped transformer.

"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley
R.G.
more

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »

They are. Actually, it might even work with a non-CT, but it would be half-wave-rectified.

In retrospect, I should have put a 6-pin DIP full wave bridge on there for just this kind of emergency. I'll do that if I ever upgrade the PCB.

I'm a little bummed that we don't have even a single build of this yet. I know, I should get off my duff and build mine. But I have an excuse. I've been prototyping candidates for next year's effects lineup. Yep - building effects is getting in the way of building effects.  icon_lol

R.G.

Yes, really. Look it up.
theehman

I AM THE EH MAN! Ron Neely II

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »

They are. Actually, it might even work with a non-CT, but it would be half-wave-rectified.

In retrospect, I should have put a 6-pin DIP full wave bridge on there for just this kind of emergency. I'll do that if I ever upgrade the PCB.

I'm a little bummed that we don't have even a single build of this yet. I know, I should get off my duff and build mine. But I have an excuse. I've been prototyping candidates for next year's effects lineup. Yep - building effects is getting in the way of building effects.  icon_lol

I've been waiting for a friend to label and clearcoat my housing but he's apparently not in any hurry.

Ron Neely II
The EH Man, All-Knowing Guru of Electro-Harmonix
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs
Keppy

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »

I'm a little bummed that we don't have even a single build of this yet.
Me too!

I know, I should get off my duff and build mine. But I have an excuse. I've been prototyping candidates for next year's effects lineup. Yep - building effects is getting in the way of building effects.  icon_lol
Same here, although I'm not building anything anyone's buying. It's just that with other stuff waiting to be built, it's hard to justify ANOTHER Phase II!  Grin

Vince_b

« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

I'm very eager to start building mine but I have to wait for the boards. I bought them from a forum member overseas and after 3 weeks I didn't received it yet. The wait is killing me!
Ry

Made from 100% post-consumer recycled materials

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »

Mine is so close to being done. I just need to get the animation working. Maybe next weekend...
pinkjimiphoton

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »

i got the boards, and all i gotta do now is when i can afford it order parts. gonna get as much as possible from tayda, the rest from mouser i guess. been so busy building easy things...

still intimidated by this one a bit!

Vince_b

« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »

I finally received my boards today. I haven't start populating them yet and I already have a question. Why the last two pots (bypass balance and low-Z balance) are not aligned with the other pots? It looks like it would have been easy to make them all aligned.
Govmnt_Lacky

I'M ONLY GETTING CLEAN OUTPUT!!!!

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »

@ Dino,

Check this out for future projects  Wink

http://www.newark.com/hammond/1550g/enclosure-instrument-aluminum/dp/57R3912?in_merch=Popular%20Enclosures

Exact same dimensions... from Hammond.... without the flanges.... and cheaper!  Grin

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of ‘up to and including my life.’
Keppy

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »

That was done in my build so I could fit in the labels on the different control sections, as seen here:

R.G. left it that way because he liked having the "set and forget" controls offset. If you're not using board-mounted pots, it should be easy enough to move those two holes level with the others.

digi2t

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »

@ Dino,

Check this out for future projects  Wink

http://www.newark.com/hammond/1550g/enclosure-instrument-aluminum/dp/57R3912?in_merch=Popular%20Enclosures

Exact same dimensions... from Hammond.... without the flanges.... and cheaper!  Grin

Nice catch dude! I hadn't seen that one. As for cheaper, yeah, a bit. Actually about the same price as the Multicomp's flangeless model.

At least now we have an alternative to the flanges.

Once again, nice find. Thanks a ton for sharing.  icon_cool

Vince_b

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »

R.G. left it that way because he liked having the "set and forget" controls offset. If you're not using board-mounted pots, it should be easy enough to move those two holes level with the others.
That make sense.
But I will probably put them all on the same level. Like you said, with non-board mounted pots it won't be hard to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: