Uglyface fuzz lfo WIP

Started by halvarovitalee, December 20, 2011, 07:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halvarovitalee

Hi everybody, I'm building the uglyface using this diagram:

I have some question for you..

1) I want to use a dc power supply instead of a battery, do I have to modify the schematic?
2) What's the red square in the lower part of the circuit?
3) Where are the input/output???
4) I asked for the SPDT ON-OFF-ON among the other components and the guy from the shop told me that there's nothing like that in the market, so he gave me another DPDT like SW1 but I see it's completely different.. He's right and I have to change the diagram or I just have to search harder?

Thanks everybody

runmikeyrun

Quote from: halvarovitalee on December 20, 2011, 07:02:30 PM
Hi everybody, I'm building the uglyface using this diagram:

I have some question for you..

1) I want to use a dc power supply instead of a battery, do I have to modify the schematic?

sort of... just connect the wires to the battery to the DC power jack

Actually, i'm not sure.  I'm guessing it's the LDR.

Input should be the yellow wire at the bottom left of the layout not connected to anything.  Output is the yellow wire off lug 2 of the volume pot.

4) I asked for the SPDT ON-OFF-ON among the other components and the guy from the shop told me that there's nothing like that in the market, so he gave me another DPDT like SW1 but I see it's completely different.. He's right and I have to change the diagram or I just have to search harder?

You should be able to find the switch you need from someone.  Have you tried small bear?  mouser?  local electronics store besides Radio Shack?

Thanks everybody
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

nexekho

1) should be a matter of using a standard DC jack, ground to ground, +V to +V, just like with the battery.
2) not sure.
3) input looks to be the unconnected lead in the bottom left.  The output is most likely the middle pin of the volume control - this is a common arrangement.
4) ON-OFF-ON switches exist, sure, sometimes called centre off.  If you can't get one, you can use two SPDT switches, one connected up like the centre off in the diagram and one between the middle connector and the pot.
I made the transistor angry.

deadastronaut

2:  led on left with the +...and ldr on right!.. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

halvarovitalee

1) Fine
2) What does LDR mean??
3) Aaaaah ok, I didn't even notice it.. So one pin of the cable have to be solder on GND?
4) I'm from Italy and we don't get branded mega-store for dyi electronics, I'm checking small shops.. Guess I'll try a more better stocked one :D

Thank you for your help, you've been  fast and clear!

EDIT: I got an electrolytic capacitor for C3 and the schematic doesn't show where to put the cathode.. any suggestion?

deadastronaut

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

nexekho

This is the arrangment if you want to use two more common switches to simulate a centre off.

halvarovitalee

Quote from: deadastronaut on December 20, 2011, 07:19:30 PM
ldr= light dependant resistor.

http://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/ldr1.htm

Why is something like that in a fuzz circuit? I mean, a LDR is useful in light sensor or stuff like that, right?

nexekho

It's being used with the LED so the LED brightness controls the resistance of the LDR.  A common way of doing it.

halvarovitalee

.. So ok, yeah, I'm definitely missing something LOL

Ok, there's a LDR which is piloted by a LED, but there's no LED in the diagram..

I have absolutely no idea of the parameters of the LDR to get, too

EDIT: I found this similar schematic:

there's the LED/LDR.. I guess they're mounted on the same component to act as an optoisolator, right? VTL5C3 looks like the model used by the guy.. Nice to know :D

deadastronaut

the lfo part of the circuit controls the led going on and off into the ldr...which is speed variable...

ldr is just a fancy light driven pot/resistor if you like...

get an ldr that goes to 1M DARK and you'll be ok i'm sure!..very common part!!!.... ;)

egasimus

the LED and LDR are drawn like one big red rectangle, since they're mounted together, 'face to face' in some black heatshrink tubing. The + on the layout is where the + of the LED goes, and the one nearest to it is the - of the LED. The other two are for the LDR, which has no polarity, and can go either way. You can also buy a factory-made LED/LDR component called an optocoupler or vactrol (e.g. VTL5C3) - I've never used one, but AFAIK they're more expensive and also have more consistent parameters; a LED/LDR pair works great, though. It's part of what gives the Uglyface its specific charm, as well as its envelope filter (auto-wah) sounds.

halvarovitalee

Thank you guys you've been great :)

I'll let you know how it works :D

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: halvarovitalee on December 20, 2011, 07:32:16 PM
.. So ok, yeah, I'm definitely missing something LOL

Ok, there's a LDR which is piloted by a LED, but there's no LED in the diagram..

I have absolutely no idea of the parameters of the LDR to get, too

EDIT: I found this similar schematic:

there's the LED/LDR.. I guess they're mounted on the same component to act as an optoisolator, right? VTL5C3 looks like the model used by the guy.. Nice to know :D

that is exactly the layout i used in this here video: 

works great. the led/ldr are used in the modulation part of the circuit. by using it you can  have it sweep the lfo for you.

regular everyday ldr works great...radio shack, even.  but make sure you note the orientation of the bottom chip, pin one is opposite of the top one!! (turned around 180 degrees)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

halvarovitalee

oh so you're the guy from the video? awesome, i got the links of the diagram and the schematic from that very video description!

i'm not using a veroboard because they're not popular here in italy and i'm using a regular stripboard instead, so I have to match the connection by myself.

i buy a LED/LDR couple of components today but i'm not sure how to polarize the diode and the relative pinout of the red box of the diagram, could anybody help me? i also got an electrolitic capacitor for C3 (first diagram), don't know where to put the cathode..

pinkjimiphoton

c 3 , if electrolytic, should have negative going to the right on the perfboard layout.

on the led/ldr part, where the + is is positive lead of your led. polarity of the ldr doesn't matter, it's not polarized. i reccomend a jumbo led, about 1/16-1/8th of an inch from the ldr...i used a piece of shrink wrap, the slight space lets the led fade a little more i think, the only dif is on mine i used a 250k rather than a 500k pot.

anyways...the pinout would be (as looking at the layout) ldr top and bottom on left, doesn't matter polarity

led, positive on top. done deal.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

egasimus

Also, the + lead of the LED is usually longer; and, if you look closely at the LED, you'll see that inside there are two small, uh, things. Well, the positive lead is on the same side as the smaller one.

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

DavenPaget

And the flatt end of the LED corresponds to the right side ( the beginning of the triangle ) on a schematic/board , which is the anode .
Hiatus

halvarovitalee

Uh i know the difference between anode and cathode.. I wasn't sure about the meaning of the red square ;)