Who can cut a hole for a DB25 connector in a 1590B?

Started by therecordingart, December 22, 2011, 09:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therecordingart

My metal working ability is pretty miserable when using a dremel tool, and I want to build a few (5 to start) boxes that have a centered DB25 connector in the long side of a 1590B.

I've e-mailed Pedal Parts Plus, but is there anyone else that you can think of that'd be up to this? A punch for DB25 connectors costs about $400+ that I'm not willing to spend right now.

Unlikekurt

how's your ability with a file?  drill out the corners, rough cut it was a dremel tool leaving maybe 1/16 or so from the lines and then finish with a file.

defaced

QuoteMy metal working ability is pretty miserable when using a dremel tool, and I want to build a few (5 to start) boxes that have a centered DB25 connector in the long side of a 1590B.
If you want to build any quantity of these, find a machine shop local to you that has a CNC mill (if you want the trapezoidal shape), or just any mill if you can tolerate a long straight cut with rounded ends.  Around me, it's 60 bucks an hour for CNC, and 45 for manual milling.  In a CNC, the run time for that kind of program will be about a minute, so you can kick some out for minimal cost once the program is made.  Otherwise, I'm with Kurt, drill and file.  Do yourself a favor though, get a file made for aluminum (otherwise it will clog).  http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-files/=fhcx4z

Edit: if you decide to go the machine shop route, you might have fun this time of year.  Lots of shops close down between Christmas and New Years.
-Mike

PRR

There used to be PC-card brackets with DB25. I have trimmed these and screwed them over a large sloppy hole to have a neat DB25 hole.

http://www.directron.com/db25maleparall.html

http://www.keyelco.com/products/specs/spec160.asp
www.mouser.com -- search "keystone 9200-4"
Stock:  163 Can Ship Immediately
Pricing (USD) 1: 2.14     10: $1.79
  • SUPPORTER

roseblood11

drill a hole as a starting point, then use a cheap fretsaw, and maybe a file to make the edges perfect. Those hammond enclosures are like butter...

markeebee

I'm crap at freehanding too, so I always make a jig or template.  My whack-ass method:

~ Make a patty from Fimo or other decent bakeable modelling clay
~ Push a db25 into the patty and take it out again
~ Use a craft knife to trim the debris, so you have a patty with a db25-shaped hole all the way through
~ Bake it. Bake it good.
~ Reinforce with a bunch of duct tape
~ Tape, or gently clamp, to your box and carefully drill and dremel-rasp the hole
~ Clean up with small file and sandpaper wrapped around a pencil

Usually produces decent results for me, but does not come with a guarantee  Best to make three or four templates while you're at it. They're pretty strong, but don't like it if you treat 'em rough.

chaz

http://www.mcmaster.com/#d-subminiature-(db)-connector-punches/=fhl2ce

This is what you'll want if you do quanity. They also have the same for DB9 connectors. Its a simple punch that will allow you to pop this out in less than a minute.

chaz

woops. Should've read your post all the way through.

GP

I don't wish to offend but I've seen a couple of posts from you recently where you're asking for other people to do things for you. This sort of goes against the whole ethos of this forum, really... the idea being DIY, surely?

I'm sure I'm not alone in admitting I was pretty awful at not just electronics but metalwork, etc., etc. when I started and I can look back at my early attempts and laugh at them. This is surely the whole point, though... with practice, you get better and I've always been prepared to make a bad job knowing i'll do it better next time.

Cutting a trapezoid (or any shape) in metal is pretty easy once you've actually tried a few times. I wouldn't even think to ask someone else. I didn't thie first time and I certainly wouldn't now.

In a DIY forum, surely asking "how can I do this?" (emphasis on "I") would fit better than "can someone else do this for me".

Again, not wishing to offend but actually suggesting you might get some more satisfaction from figuring out a problem for yourself (with help, of course, if necessary).

therecordingart

Quote from: GP on December 23, 2011, 10:20:08 AM
I don't wish to offend but I've seen a couple of posts from you recently where you're asking for other people to do things for you. This sort of goes against the whole ethos of this forum, really... the idea being DIY, surely?

I'm sure I'm not alone in admitting I was pretty awful at not just electronics but metalwork, etc., etc. when I started and I can look back at my early attempts and laugh at them. This is surely the whole point, though... with practice, you get better and I've always been prepared to make a bad job knowing i'll do it better next time.

Cutting a trapezoid (or any shape) in metal is pretty easy once you've actually tried a few times. I wouldn't even think to ask someone else. I didn't thie first time and I certainly wouldn't now.

In a DIY forum, surely asking "how can I do this?" (emphasis on "I") would fit better than "can someone else do this for me".

Again, not wishing to offend but actually suggesting you might get some more satisfaction from figuring out a problem for yourself (with help, of course, if necessary).

No offense taken at all. I've been DIY'ing electronics about 10 years now. I work a full time day job in the electronics manufacturing industry, part time working in audio, I support a family, and have this incredibly time consuming hobby. I can design my own PCB layouts, I can cut odd shapes in enclosures, and all of the other things I've asked about in this forum. However, I have very little time to enjoy my hobbies. Would I prefer spending an hour cutting a sloppy hole into an enclosure over spending a little extra money to have it done by a machine? Hell no. Especially when what I'm building is for someone else. If I can provide one of you folks (or supporting parts suppliers) with a few bucks to do the time consuming stuff that I have little interest in doing...isn't that a great relationship?

I understand that my last couple of posts looking to source finished enclosures or get some help with layouts isn't very "DIY" but I am trying to support people and friends of this community to do the things I don't have interest or time to do. Yes, there is a great satisfaction in doing things yourself. I've spent the past decade doing so. Now I have more money than time.

In the future, should I not reach out to this community?

GP

sure... it's all fine by me. If there's someone here who wants to undertake the work for you and you're happy with that.

Just struck a chord with me because i'm busy cutting out a hole for an IEC socket as we speak and I know that, with time and patience, I'll do a good enough job. I truly understand the time constraints of a family, etc. but a hobby is a hobby... and any hobby has to fit around "real life". my wife is very keen to point that out to me  :icon_wink:

DavenPaget

Hiatus

CynicalMan

PPP's drilling service is great and they do drill rectangular holes. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't do a db25 for you.