Steve Morse delayed (?) reverb effect

Started by StephenGiles, December 23, 2011, 04:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I've been listening to Steve's guitar antics, and one of his tricks seems to involve reverb braking in during a single sustained note after a fast run. So could that be a CV extracted from the decay of the single note which is applied to a VCA controlling the reverb output perhaps? Or it could just be a volume pedal :icon_question: :icon_question:

It could also be a pluck follower in reverse, ie the slower you play, the higher the CV - any thoughts?

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

deepMago!

I've seen time ago a video showing Morse's rig time ago. He uses volume pedals before the effects and simply open them to add effects. No switch system, only a volume for delay, one for reverb and one for gain level if I remember well. One amp for dry signal and one for effects.

StephenGiles

Thanks - he's up there with the likes of Jeff Beck to my ears!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

pinkjimiphoton

when i met hom last year, he was using two half stacks, and a tc nova delay in stereo with volume pedals. to get the effect, he'd just swell into the echo, coming from the second amp.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

StephenGiles

pinkjimiphoton

beats me. he just turns up the volume pedal feeding the input of the echo with a lotta repeats.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Taylor

Many commercial delays/reverbs have the "ducking" feature, which is where the dynamic envelope controls either feedback or effect mix. If you wanted to build it, it would just be a matter of taking the envelope section from an optical compressor and putting the optocoupler in parallel with a delay feedback or level control.

oliphaunt

A ducking delay or reverb is my suggestion also.

StephenGiles

Yes but how would you configure a "slow playing detector"? Fast flurries of notes - no reverb, single sustained notes - plenty of reverb, echo or whatever. That would be the clever bit!

Taylor

Unless you play with a heavily compressed signal, IME just heavier filtering on the rectified signal creating the envelope will do it, since a bunch of note attacks will average to a higher DC level than a sustaining note tail. I have done this digitally, but the concept is the same in analog.

petemoore

It'd seem pretty easy to do by throwing Photocells in the mix section, once the envelope detector to brighten LED's, and reverse the LED brightening to dimming effect by using a transistor inverter, to dim any LED's where you want inverted signal-to-LDR effect...  's figured out...
  Then just use LDR's to attenuate the reverb tank signal output, perhaps boost the clean mix [using LDR's to control gain] to fill in the loss [or more].
   Use light blockers or switch to do the sweeping honors, [and/or] trim LDR's with R's as needed.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.