What to put in a wah shell?

Started by paulyy, December 24, 2011, 10:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulyy

I've done afew different types of wahs and want to do something different in a wah shell. I was thing about building tonepads maestro Filter Sample Hold but not sure how I would do that yet but just a thought. I know mxr put a phaser in a wah sell and others have done delays and tremolos. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

R.G.

How about a Univibe clone?

See: UVICS-3 and Son of UVICS at http://www.geofex.com
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

kaycee

Tremolo works nice, use the treadle for the speed. Also, I have the runoffgroove tri-vibe in a wah shell and thats very nice indeed! lots of options to try.

pinkjimiphoton

a vocalizer, or mouthmeister...

or a korg mister multi!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Keppy

Used my last one for the Phase II. Probably using my next one for a stereo active volume + boost. Always wondered why no one seems to put a boost in a volume pedal...  ???
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Meanderthal

Wire the pot up to a stereo jack and use it as an expression pedal, use it with trs cord and switching stereo jack to replace a pot on... pretty much any effect.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

R.G.

Quote from: Keppy on December 24, 2011, 12:30:20 PM
Used my last one for the Phase II. Probably using my next one for a stereo active volume + boost. Always wondered why no one seems to put a boost in a volume pedal...  ???
Er, Visual Sound does. Check out the Visual Volume.

Dual channel, active or passive, switchable per channel. Passive is 0-1, pure passive. Active is 0-setting, where setting is a gain from unity to 10. Gain is independent per channel. And it's got more LEDs than any other volume pedal! Yay! Blinky lights!!  :icon_lol:

Sorry. I get carried away.  :)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

paulyy

Keppy

Quote from: R.G. on December 24, 2011, 01:23:13 PM
Quote from: Keppy on December 24, 2011, 12:30:20 PM
Er, Visual Sound does. Check out the Visual Volume.

Dual channel, active or passive, switchable per channel. Passive is 0-1, pure passive. Active is 0-setting, where setting is a gain from unity to 10. Gain is independent per channel. And it's got more LEDs than any other volume pedal! Yay! Blinky lights!!  :icon_lol:

Sorry. I get carried away.  :)

Figures you guys would do something sensible like that!
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

LucifersTrip

Quote from: paulyy on December 24, 2011, 10:00:42 AM
wah sell and others have done delays and tremolos. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

next wah shell i get will be stuffed with a Kay fuzz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUgH0VEMtHI
always think outside the box

paulyy

Quote from: R.G. on December 24, 2011, 10:36:54 AM
How about a Univibe clone?

See: UVICS-3 and Son of UVICS at http://www.geofex.com

I used to own a rotovibe but never really cared for it but I was told that the univibe blows the rotovibe out of the water. I'll think about this one.

Quote from: LucifersTrip on December 24, 2011, 07:40:06 PM
Quote from: paulyy on December 24, 2011, 10:00:42 AM
wah sell and others have done delays and tremolos. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

next wah shell i get will be stuffed with a Kay fuzz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUgH0VEMtHI
Never thought about useing a fuzz that way but could be fun.

Chugs

The Kay Fuzztone is cool. Being able to control the tone with the treadle adds an expressive quality to the the fuzz. I have built a number of them into old wah cases.

amptramp

I don't have a circuit for it, but this kind of control seeems to be ideally suited for a Leslie speaker controller (either mechanical or electronic).

fpaul

John Lyons made an anderton super tone control in a wah that sounded really good, but kind of like a wah. So maybe not what you are looking for.
Frank

paulyy

Quote from: amptramp on December 25, 2011, 11:53:05 AM
I don't have a circuit for it, but this kind of control seeems to be ideally suited for a Leslie speaker controller (either mechanical or electronic).

This would be fun to  do at a live show if I had the right setup.
Quote from: fpaul on December 25, 2011, 07:00:36 PM
John Lyons made an anderton super tone control in a wah that sounded really good, but kind of like a wah. So maybe not what you are looking for.

I'll have to check it out.

earthtonesaudio

Put the local oscillator of a Ring Modulator under treadle control.  Sweeping atonal bliss.

Apehouse

I built a distortion pedal a while back for a bass playing friend of mine. I added RG's 'Pan in and Pan out' circuit from his 'Panning for fun' article from 6/5/03 at geofex.com. It was perfect. My friend could pull up what he needed of his original, clean signal to add the low end BOOM back into his sound (that the distortion took it away)

I liked the panning circuit so much I always have said that my next wah cased pedal would be the 'Pan in and Pan out' circuit with an effect send and return so i could plug any effect I wanted and pull it up, via the foot control, as needed, when needed.

someday..
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" -Aldous Huxley

paulyy

I was thinking a shutter pedal with a wah curcit together would be fun if done right. The shutter pedal would speed up when the wah would get brighter and the speed would get slower when the wah was on the low end. Might be fun.