Tube Sound Fuzz Schematic question

Started by Rick899, December 25, 2011, 12:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick899

This thread is about the Tube Sound Fuzz from the Craig Anderton  Electronic Projects  for Musicians book. I tried building this pedal strictly from the schematic.   The breadboard version from the schematic would not work. 

Then I found a breadboarded version called the Red Llama on Beavis audio.  This one would not work either. It omits the 100 uf electrolytic cap and has no connection for pin five of the IC.

Then I found a pic of a layout for the tube sound fuzz. The layout is different from the schematic but it worked immediately  after changing the components on the breadboard to conform to the layout.  The schematic has IC!B #2 going to R4/C2/C5+ and no. 10  no connection.   The layout has ICIE  #10  going to  R4/C2/C5+  and no. 2 no connection. Is that a mistake on the schematic? Or should it work both ways?   

How can you explain why the schematic wiring did not work?   When I switched pins 2  and 10 I may have changed other things: Could a different change have fixed the problem?

The layout has no R6, the 10M resistor, which is part of the rhythm/lead switch.  Can the R5 leg just be simply added in to have the rhythm/lead switch?   

Thanks. Any feedback might help me understand this pedal. I already have it working and it sounds good. Maybe better than the fuzz faces I have built. With a solid state practice amp and a Mex Strat it got good fuzz
and sustain which was easily put into controlled  feedback.  Very nice. 

LucifersTrip

1)  you must've just mis-wired something form the schematic. it seems to work. ironically, this beginner built it as a 1st project
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80848.0

here's a clearer version of the schematic

2)

I rarely work with IC's but it looks like the schematic uses 2/3 and the layout you went with just uses 9/10
always think outside the box

Ofek Deitch

Mark Hammer