Boss Slow Gear or Something Better

Started by seedlings, January 01, 2012, 08:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seedlings

I have a friend asking about a Boss Slow Gear style pedal, but I've never used one.  I watched some videos but think "why don't you use a volume pedal".  So, besides using a volume pedal instead, will a clone of the SG-1 be alright, or is there a better circuit out there?

Thanks,
CHAD

DougH

The problem you will always have with using an electronic device to automatically do volume swells is the fixed speed. For fast notes you want it to swell quickly but for slow notes you don't. A volume pedal or pinky on the volume knob will always give you more control. I do envelope control with my guitar synth and when blended with other sounds can make a nice effect or note character. But for backwards guitar or swell sounds I prefer using a volume control.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Mark Hammer

Believe it or not, the Line 6 Echo Park does a very good swell effect.  It's one of the delay sounds and is imposed only on the delay signal, but if you mix to 100% wet and set the delay time very short with no repeats, you can get something very similar to a Slow Gear, without the nuisance that a Slow Gear presents.  And you get a delay pedal for free!

Seven64

the boss slow gear is pretty sweet.  i hear the gator clone is better tho in that it is more adjustable.  i havent finished mine yet, but will update when i can get it done.

seedlings

Quote from: Seven64 on January 01, 2012, 10:19:41 PM
the boss slow gear is pretty sweet.  i hear the gator clone is better tho in that it is more adjustable.  i havent finished mine yet, but will update when i can get it done.

Thanks for the head's up on the Gator.  I'll check that one out once I pick up some chips ... on eBay I guess.... no one makes 3080s or 308s any more?

CHAD

crane

I have made an SG-1 clone as a present for my girlfriend - she really wanted that kind of a pedal. Although it sounds nice and warm it is really hard to control it. Long swell times means long reset times as well. I think she doesn't use it or almost doesn't use it.
I use one of the Line6 DL-4 delay types for similar kind of effect.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: crane on January 03, 2012, 10:40:30 AM
I use one of the Line6 DL-4 delay types for similar kind of effect.
That's the "swell" program, which is also available on the Echo Park and the M series (M5, M9, M13).
Quote from: seedlings on January 03, 2012, 10:07:38 AM
Quote from: Seven64 on January 01, 2012, 10:19:41 PM
Thanks for the head's up on the Gator.  I'll check that one out once I pick up some chips ... on eBay I guess.... no one makes 3080s or 308s any more?
The Gator's not bad.  Since it was intended to be a noise gate that could provide long-enough attack times (essentially gate-on rise times) that would mimic a swell effect, you get 2 pedals for one price.  Very flexible.  PAiA still offers it but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets rejigged to use an LM13600 at some point, what with 3080s disappearing.

wavley

I built a slow gear, I use it all the time.  I also use a volume pedal.  I really treat them as different things, the slow gear is terrible at things like chords and you have to play carefully, mute strings and such.  Once you get the hang of it the slow gear is a really great pedal and I wouldn't really live without it, unless I build a Gator and like it better ;)
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

seedlings

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 03, 2012, 11:07:24 AM
The Gator's not bad.  Since it was intended to be a noise gate that could provide long-enough attack times (essentially gate-on rise times) that would mimic a swell effect, you get 2 pedals for one price.  Very flexible.  PAiA still offers it but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets rejigged to use an LM13600 at some point, what with 3080s disappearing.

So... could 'any' gate be modified for a long attack time?

CHAD

Mark Hammer

I wouldn't say any, but I imagine most can.  The critical element is whether the envelope follower supports dragging out attack times as is, or will require the insertion of a buffer stage to make it possible.

keninverse

seedlings

Quote from: keninverse on January 03, 2012, 05:01:16 PM
Pigtronix Philosopher king?
Whoa- another sweet pedal.  Just need the left half.

CHAD

seedlings

Hey... the DOD FX15 looks a little simpler, which is more up my alley.

CHAD

sugonidamaso

Hi!I made it last year.It has a conductive metal pick violin style. You won't be needing a volume pedal.Just cut between the C6 trace(pcb and layout) on the top right(take note on the schematic)For that, everythings cool.Credit to the authors ;D Here's the link: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76457.msg636626#msg636626
youtube by sir edd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdWrgiCQoY
" The greatest inspiration is often born out of desperation--so be DESPERATE! "

seedlings

Quote from: sugonidamaso on January 04, 2012, 10:22:40 AM
Hi!I made it last year.It has a conductive metal pick violin style. You won't be needing a volume pedal.Just cut between the C6 trace(pcb and layout) on the top right(take note on the schematic)For that, everythings cool.Credit to the authors ;D Here's the link: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76457.msg636626#msg636626

Funny, I just came across that thread.  Nice work- especially the conductive pick idea!  I think they guy who wants this pedal is looking for a 'switch it on' 'switch it off' kind of deal.  Maybe the DOD can be set up like that?  Also just a regular LED and LDR for that CLM50?  There isn't any 'other circuitry' inside?

CHAD

sugonidamaso

Quote from: seedlings on January 04, 2012, 10:52:33 AM

Funny, I just came across that thread.  Nice work- especially the conductive pick idea!  I think they guy who wants this pedal is looking for a 'switch it on' 'switch it off' kind of deal.  Maybe the DOD can be set up like that?  Also just a regular LED and LDR for that CLM50?  There isn't any 'other circuitry' inside?

CHAD
I did ask him about that matter, he said that it would be much better with the metal pick. Much better effect when you struck the string (honestly, I don't know how to do it in switch on/off deal :icon_mrgreen:).  But when I made it. Waaay---better!LED/LDR combo is much cheaper(i think) and readily available here in my area.No idea about CLM50  :icon_mrgreen:
" The greatest inspiration is often born out of desperation--so be DESPERATE! "

seedlings

Trying to digest this FX15 schematic... basically there is an opamp buffer followed by an opamp gain stage controlled by a LDR.  The rest of the circuit is to charge and discharge the LED attached to the LDR.

CHAD

iiimonfire

This project looks awesome, and so I wanted to take it on, particularly with the metal pick design will be perfect for what I need.
I've been scouring the web for a DOD FX15 Vero, but no luck. Anybody got a lead on one, or am I gonna have to DIY it?
Enjoy the ride. --B. Hicks