Soulsonic's "Rat Mod"

Started by soupbone, January 03, 2012, 08:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I was looking in the gallery,and i saw soulsonic's(martin chittum) "Rat Mod"; http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/soulsonic-fx/ProCo+Rat2+Modded+-+resized.jpg.html   I see he changed one of the resistors to a 420ohm resistor.I haven't been able to get a hold of soulsonic to see if this is a inside joke,or if this  is for real? :o

DavenPaget

Why in the world would anyone use carbon comp resistors ... they're noisy .
Who cares if it's 1% or 5% , their ability to drift away is so much enhanced on top of that their temperature affects the resistance ALOT more then carbon flims .
Hiatus

John Lyons

Pretty sure it's only 560 to start, why would he post a joke schematic?
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

soupbone

Quote from: John Lyons on January 03, 2012, 09:16:50 PM
Pretty sure it's only 560 to start, why would he post a joke schematic?
The schematic and his mods are not a joke at all,But using a "420" ohm resistor just seems strange and funny to me at the same time.("4:20" is a reference to..Well,I'd rather not say :icon_cool:)No offense to soulsonic whatsoever he does great work.I can't find a 420ohm resistor at my local electronics shop,and they have every resistor you could ever want,except that value.So,I would think a 422ohm would work just fine do you think?

soupbone

Mark Hammer

There are a lot of changes shown in the schematic, many of which are of questionable value, even if they don't take anything away from the Rat.  It's not just the carbon comp resistors, but the deliberate use of tantalum caps, and fairly different cap values i some places.

It may sound good, it may sound "otherwise", you just have to try it.  One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that it won't sound all that Rat-like.

soupbone

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 04, 2012, 08:34:09 PM
There are a lot of changes shown in the schematic, many of which are of questionable value, even if they don't take anything away from the Rat.  It's not just the carbon comp resistors, but the deliberate use of tantalum caps, and fairly different cap values i some places.

It may sound good, it may sound "otherwise", you just have to try it.  One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that it won't sound all that Rat-like.
Cool.I'm going to socket everything first to see if i like it or not.I don't want to take away too much from the rat's character. :icon_biggrin: