Spyder Power Supply for EU?

Started by Musok, January 06, 2012, 01:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musok

Quote from: R.G. on January 15, 2012, 11:20:44 AM
If at all possible, get this one:
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/wpdlxfmr2sch.jpg

Sorry but... that's what? I really am kind of noob on this. I know that's a transformer but you're saying to use spyder tutorial components and buy those transformers? is that it?

R.G.

I did the original article in an excess of zeal when I noticed that if one were careful, one could rewind the secondaries of semi-toroidal, split-bobbin transformers witnout disturbing the (presumably) safely wound primaries. I think I'll go remove that part. It convinces people without the skills that this is simple.

I did that before Weber made the multi-secondary transformer available. There weren't any of those at the time I wrote the article, and when I consulted transformer makers to custom make them, the prices were too high. It was only later that I found the small (presumably) safe and cheap individual transformers. I recommend both of those, and NOT rewinding your own transformers.

Here is what I am saying:

The regulator sections are all identical, and all independent of each other and the transformer(s). You're going to have to make "n" of those to suit your needs.

I recommend you then buy either:
(1) the Weber transformer; this simplifies the AC power wiring a lot

-or-

(2) some number of small 240Vac => 10Vac or 12Vac transformers; the secondary rating can be quite small, 100ma to 200ma each. If you can get these cheaply enough, they make packaging more flexible (see "Steel Studs" at geofex)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Musok

Quote from: R.G. on January 15, 2012, 07:05:21 PM
I did the original article in an excess of zeal when I noticed that if one were careful, one could rewind the secondaries of semi-toroidal, split-bobbin transformers witnout disturbing the (presumably) safely wound primaries. I think I'll go remove that part. It convinces people without the skills that this is simple.

I did that before Weber made the multi-secondary transformer available. There weren't any of those at the time I wrote the article, and when I consulted transformer makers to custom make them, the prices were too high. It was only later that I found the small (presumably) safe and cheap individual transformers. I recommend both of those, and NOT rewinding your own transformers.

Here is what I am saying:

The regulator sections are all identical, and all independent of each other and the transformer(s). You're going to have to make "n" of those to suit your needs.

I recommend you then buy either:
(1) the Weber transformer; this simplifies the AC power wiring a lot

-or-

(2) some number of small 240Vac => 10Vac or 12Vac transformers; the secondary rating can be quite small, 100ma to 200ma each. If you can get these cheaply enough, they make packaging more flexible (see "Steel Studs" at geofex)

Why the steel studs at geofex? Searched for that and it came to my attention the steel studs enclosures. Is that it?
I'll try and find those transformers. What about the rest of the components?

Musok

So... all the components are the same the only thing that changes are the transformers/transformer? Is that it?

I can't find the transformers online. Damn...