News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

The Mid Hump

Started by soupbone, January 11, 2012, 05:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I've had friends bring me their Ibanez TS-9's and say,"Hey,Can you get rid of a lot of the mid-hump"?I was looking at Jack Orman's page,and he was suggesting to take out .047uf cap(the one by the opamp),and change it to a .22uf.I haven't tried yet,but is that a good way to get rid of a lot of the mid hump,or are there other's?

asatbluesboy

Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but why do they want a TS with no mid hump? The TS is the mid hump.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

petemoore

Zendrive [yeya] or Blues Breaker [there are others]...see ROG's Tube Reamer [it's a TS stripped down to the 'engine'...makes it easier to see what to mod to change the voicing.
  Otherwise, 1,000 TS mods are floating around to flatten it's frequency response.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Changing the .047uf cap to .22 does not eliminate the midrange.  What it does is bring in more bass so that the mids are not quite as obvious.

However...it brings in more bass in the clipping section, not afterwards, which has the effect of increasing the overall amplitude of the signal and generating a more heavily clipped signal.  That in itself is not intrinsically a "bad" thing, but the idea underlying the TS is to produce roughly equivalent clipping across the entire fretboard, and this change will net you more clipping for your wound strings and on the lower frets.

Be careful what you wish for.  It may or may not be what you really want.

soupbone

Quote from: asatbluesboy on January 11, 2012, 05:49:32 AM
Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but why do they want a TS with no mid hump? The TS is the mid hump.
I agree.I have some friends that want the mid-hump not so prevelant. :icon_eek:

soupbone

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 11, 2012, 09:52:59 AM
Changing the .047uf cap to .22 does not eliminate the midrange.  What it does is bring in more bass so that the mids are not quite as obvious.

However...it brings in more bass in the clipping section, not afterwards, which has the effect of increasing the overall amplitude of the signal and generating a more heavily clipped signal.  That in itself is not intrinsically a "bad" thing, but the idea underlying the TS is to produce roughly equivalent clipping across the entire fretboard, and this change will net you more clipping for your wound strings and on the lower frets.

Be careful what you wish for.  It may or may not be what you really want.
Ok.Do you have any other suggestions i might try?Thanks Mark

Mark Hammer

You can introduce a bit more bass without radically changing the inherent quality of the TS, I suppose.  So, consider a .1uf or .15uf cap instead of .047uf.  If that results in too much clipping, yu can add a GE or Schottky diode in series with each of the existing clipping diodes to raise the clipping threshold.

Another part of what creates the mid-hump is the tone circuit in the TS.  Take a look at the various Lab Notes that Jack Orman has over at AMZ on modifying TS-style tone circuits.  You can dicker around with how the treble is varied so as to not accentuate the strident mids at the same time.

soupbone

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 12, 2012, 10:56:27 AM
You can introduce a bit more bass without radically changing the inherent quality of the TS, I suppose.  So, consider a .1uf or .15uf cap instead of .047uf.  If that results in too much clipping, yu can add a GE or Schottky diode in series with each of the existing clipping diodes to raise the clipping threshold.

Another part of what creates the mid-hump is the tone circuit in the TS.  Take a look at the various Lab Notes that Jack Orman has over at AMZ on modifying TS-style tone circuits.  You can dicker around with how the treble is varied so as to not accentuate the strident mids at the same time.
Excellent!Thanks!