Nova Delay External Preset Switch Mod

Started by CodeMonk, January 13, 2012, 12:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

Well, Since tysonlt did a thread on modding his Nova Repeater ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=95536.0 ), thought I would do one on the preset switch mod I did on my Nova Delay.
I Actually did this a few months ago.

Stock :

Side Panels taken off. Torx screws are used here :

Pull off the top panel, and you get this below. Removing the nuts that hold the upper pots in is a bit of a pain as they are recessed. I used needle nose pliers:

This shows the top board and where we want to solder the switch wires. A momentary switch is used for this mod.
Lets call the pads where the standard switch is wired 1,2,3,4,5, and 6, left to right, top to bottom

Needed a hole to mount the jack. This looks like a good place. As long as someone doesn't get the new jack and the DC jack mixed up :)
Different jacks anyway.

Jack mounted and wires ready to be soldered...
NOW...BEFORE YOU JUMP RIGHT IN...NOTE..DO NOT USE THE GROUND CONNECTION.
I used a stereo jack. like you would use for headphones. And used the tip and ring connections.
If you are going to do a similar mod for the Tap Tempo, you will have use something with more connections.

Wires soldered in. Per solder pad assignments, I used 3 and 6.
Pads 1,2, and 3 are already connected to each other. 4 and 6 are connected together. Pad 5 doesn't seem to go anywhere as far as I can tell.

All that is left to do is button everything up and you are done.

I used that cheap ass little button for testing.

Later added this :

Someday I will get to the Tap Tempo switch.

I really like this delay.
Got it for $150 off Craigslist.

Gaetano Capuano

Nice so its jsut a momentary switch? So you need a stereo jack and use the ring not the ground? Any idea why? Or if you used a shieled plstic jack then sleeve and tip would be fine right? I'm thinking more the standard 1/4" jack you know?

CodeMonk

Yup, use a momentary switch.
Using a shielded plastic jack would work. On both ends.
Neither of those two connections that are used likes to go to ground.

Gaetano Capuano

Excellent work man, thanks for the tutorial!

ayayay!

Hey CodeMonk I've got question for you:  Can you measure the exact current draw that thing has?  I'm very curious about it.  I've got my reasons. 

Just wondering if it pulls close to 300mA, or if it's closer to the 200mA range.  Would you mind? 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

CodeMonk

tysonlt

Very cool.

I love these pedals as well. The repeater is the perfect delay for me, it sounds so musical and just... obeys me! :) I never have to fight it for a good sound.

I forgot the ND had a preset button. One could do presets with the repeater...

1) I've wired up the foot switches
2) You've wired up the tac switches
3) All that's left is to wire up the pots (how?)

... and then you connect them all via ribbon cable to a pic in an external box that listens for MIDI program changes. OH YEAH!!!

:)

ayayay!

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

ScottSol

ScottSol

Would the Sleeve and tip connect to 3 or 6?

aion

FYI, if anyone cares to use matching cosmetics when adding an external tap tempo or preset jack to a Nova series pedal, this is the exact one that is used:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11144

It's available from a few other suppliers besides Sparkfun - just search for "JP-611". (no brand name that I could find)

erics

Some questions on this old thread for anyone who has tried this:
(1) How does it affect the existing tap tempo button on the pedal -- specifically, will it still work for selecting different presets when the external tap is engaged?  If you unplug the external one, does the pedal operate normally?
(2) Can you use either the external or the one on the pedal for setting tempo when the external one is plugged in? 
(3) Did it work with a standard 1/4" stereo jack in the drill location in the photos?
(4) Do you need a TRS cable to connect the external tap?
(5) Does the external tap tempo pedal need to be "normally open" polarity?   

Thanks!